THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    .45-70 leverevolution for african plains game?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45-70 leverevolution for african plains game?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, I posted about the nosler part., for plains game, but also wonder about the .45-70 LE. I killed a bear in Idaho with it, but wonder if the bullet is too "soft", when confronted with bone on a 400-600 lb. animal? Or should the terminal performance be ok on "normal shots"?

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the jury is still out on terminal performance of the LEs. However, I think some of the Garrett & Buffalo Bore offerings are well tested for that purpose.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garrett makes good rounds, w. basically the similar ballistics as the LE rounds...I haven't shot the 350 gr. Garrett soft points yet -- I ordered some -- hopefully they don't kick too much more than the LE rounds.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LE 325 grain at 1930fps (22")
BB 350 grain at 2175fps (22")

25 grains more weight at ~250fps more velocity.

They are going to kick considerably more.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the plain-Jane 350 gr. Hornady factory loads out of the .450 Marlin on kudu last fall without a problem......went down with one shot. No special or heavy loads required.

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regular .45-70 ammo works fine on all African Plainsgame at realistic ranges. It is only when you start talking Giraffe, Lion, buff or Ele. that I want to see something carefully loaded in your hands.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote