Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 444 Marlin?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
I went to www.loadswap.com and they have loads with the 355 gr Beartooth hard (gas check) cast bullets at 2100 + fps! This would make an awesome load for all big game in N.A. would it not?

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Any of you guys use it? What do you think of it? What are your loads?

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Pop------I just got my 444S this past weekend. So I'm also interested in the responses. I'm headed now to the classifieds to look for dies !!

Posts: 599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
POP,
I've owned a Marlin 444P for the last 4 or 5 years and it's a nice rifle. I think the trigger is nice as is and the accuracy is great for a short barrel.
My favorite load is using the cast performance 300 grain WNFP with ~56 grains of H-335. I don't know the velocities, but it's more than enough for deer and bear. I've also used the 330 grain beartoothbullets...
I'd recommend Wayne Doudna at customcastbullets.com. He has excellent prices for hard cast bullets comparable to the cast performance and beartooth for much cheaper.
Also get a lee factory crimp die to crimp those big bullets for a short, feedable OAL.
Brass lasts a long long time so I hope you shoot it a lot and enjoy it.
Mark

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had mine for about 5 years. I use a 265 grain Hornady bullet with 45.5 grains of IMR 4198. Makes a great bush gun for whitetail.

Posts: 41 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had one since 1981 when I bought it at Mills Fleet and Farm in Brooklyn Park Minnesota for $219.00 brand new.

I have used factory Remington ammo in it, and it was very accurate. It has taken a few deer, and the largest whitetail I have ever shot, which was in Northern Minnesota at about 20 below zero, and it weighted about 325 to 340 lbs on the hoof.
It field cleaned at 265 lbs. I consider it a 175 yd gun.

When I started handloading for it, I did not like the compressed powder hassles in a straight walled case.

From me ( big surprise,) is my use of Blue Dot in it. Actually it was the first cartridge after the 223 that I loaded up Blue Dot in, utilizing 44 Mag load data. It worked just fine in the 444. Recoil is reduced 50 to 60 % in my opinion, and the max point blank range sacraficed is about 10 to 15 yds at most.

For Bullets, I tried and enjoyed the performance of Hornady's XTP bullets for the 44 Mag. They are cheap, plentiful, available everywhere, and are very accurate. Their one target performance on game is fantastic. That feature of cheap bullets available anywhere, is why I have never gone with a 45/70.

This load will cut trees in half, even some good sized ones, with well placed 3 shots or so.

My standard load now is the 300 grain XTP with 20 grains of Blue dot and a large rifle primer. I saw what the same load recommended to a friend did on a 300 lb black bear.
That 444 just plain works. Velocity under 2000 fps will actually penetrate better than over than velocity. Most bullets used for the 444 are really bullets for the 44 mag, so they perform better at it's velocity range than what you can pump out of a 444. I have compared a 300 grain XTP, a 265 grain FN Hornady and a 240 grain FN factory, at max velocity and at about 1750 fps.

The 1750 fps gave up 10 to 15 yds, point blank range, reduced recoil in half, and penetrated more and did more damage than the same bullets are max velocity.

It is definitely one of my favorite cartridges. I would never sell my 444 just to buy even a new one like it. My only regrets is that I would love one with the earlier 24 inch barrels over the 22 inch I have now. The only reason is strictly looks.

IN a shorter barrel, I'd just go with a 44 mag. A 444 in a guide gun to me, just gives you more macho muzzle blast and actually gives poorer performance. From both lack of shot placement due to the recoil and muzzle blast, and due to the not having any more velocity than a 44 mag would give you.

But I will put a 444 against a 44 mag for accuracy in the same type of rifle anyday.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I had two a long time ago. Both were very accurate, not just for lever guns but generally very accurate. One did .75" or so with the 300 gr sierra and H335 and the other did .55-.75 with H322 and the 300 gr XTP. People in the range would freak out with a lever gun doing this at 100 yds. My reduced loads consisted of a little unique and a 200 gr bullet at 1200 fps or so. Barely any recoil at all!
A recent article in Shooting Times mag written by Layne Simpson got me thinking about this caliber again. He shot a caribou at 300 yds or so using the Burris ballistic plex scope. Very impressive long range accuracy too. I guess at that range it would be like shooting the animal point blank with a 44 mag pistol...not bad.
The newer model with the 1:20 twist and ballard cut rifling (as opposed to the older 1:38 twist and micro groove barrel) will do even better with the heavies and cast bullets making it even more versatile! Maybe I will pick one up in the future....who knows?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop.

As far as the newer twists down to 1 in 20, the one I have with the 1 in 38 twist, just makes one big hole in whatever I shoot it at. That doesn't matter if it is one shot, 2 shots or 3 shots. I only get one hole.

I am not going to rush out and get a Ballistic tip plex on the 444, as I don't plan on using it as a 300 yd rifle. To me that shows more the flexibility of the Burris Scope.

The 444 will hang in there with any chambering intended for a lever action rifle with regards to range. Sure some might have more foot pounds, and 450 Marlin might be better if you are trying to stop a grizz attack.

The 444 just plain works.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire/.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am really loving mine. Got it a few months back and have played with the xtp's, Hornady 265 gr. FP, Hawk's and have found that It also shoots a cast bullet with gas check quite well. I generally get 2inch groups with the open sights but am planning to put on a Leupold 2x shortly. It is a real kick to shoot And I plan to use it a lot this season. I tried two different times to get out for pig but the weather has not cooperated when I have been free to get out there.
Good shooting,
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Seafire.. I agree with your thoughts. I was just surprised to see its versatility.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about light plinking loads? Would it be safe or stupid to use a 44 special or 44 mag load in a 444 case? I can't see myself living through a summer of practicing with my heavy bison rounds. I'm small, and my 444P kicks the crap out of me with hot loads . Otherwise I love it...

Posts: 96 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've used a friend's .444 Marlin for pig hunting on a few occasions, works very well. Good stopping power, very good accuracy (for a lever) and the recoil isn't too bad. I would recommend buying one...

M82A1

Posts: 23 | Location: Canberra, ACT Australia | Registered: 05 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
43 deer,

I have used the loads for 44 Special and 44 Mag in my 444 for years. With all the playing around I do with Blue Dot powder, it is actually where I first used it in a rifle.

Because of lack of aerodynamics with the blunt nosed bullets, you may be surprised to find out that the loss of point blank range is minimal, despite the lower velocity.

I use 20 grains of Blue dot for a mv of 1750 fps out of my 444 Marlin with a 300 grain XTP. I figure I give up 15 yds point blank range for a 40% decrease in recoil.

If I had one of those little skinny guide guns or a Model 94 in 444, I know I would be shooting 44 Mag loads. Since most if not all 44 caliber bullets are designed to operate in the 44 mag and 44 special velocity range, you may actually see better on game performance.

I havent' loaded up the heavier loads in quite a while now.
And also not having a full compressed case of powder in a straight walled case is also sort of nice.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanx Seafire

one of us
posted Hide Post
I E-Mailed Cast Performance for load data with their 320 gr. heat treated hard cast and here is what they gave me:
Here are a few loads for the 444 Marlin.

H-335 49grns start 1930fps 52grns MAX 2030fps
H-322 43grns '' 1900fps 48grns MAX 2050fps
H4198 38grns " 1930fps 42.5grns MAX 2090fps

Posts: 61 | Location: Deep Fork River Bottoms, Oklahoma | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote