THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: Inexpensive, reliable lever gun in .30/30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Inexpensive, reliable lever gun in .30/30
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HB,
Around here, the SE Pa, Winchesters are a lil pricier than the Marlins, and as Jump has pointed out, the store house brands such as the Glenfield vs. Marlin are EXACTLY the same rifle just with birch stocks sometimes with impressed checkering. I like the blonde look myself and earlier this year, eg., got an excellent condition Glenfield 30AS for $150 from one of the local gunshops. With hunting season on the boil, the prices have jumped to suit the demand. Pawnshops and auctions are another place to check out.
Happy hunting!
Cheers,
R*2

Posts: 129 | Location: NorthEast | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Homebrew, I picked up a Model 94 for $150 from a guy who needed money, so they are out there. (Don't know what I'm going to do with it, but the price was right!) If you look around, you should be able to find one for a decent price. Be sure to check the muzzle crown for wear, and make sure the action will cycle.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I found an off brand Marlin that someone had engraved their name on the side of. Other than that it looks great. The shop is asking $150. I've already spent my play money, but I think I should go put it on layaway and pick it up after christmas.
I bought a Winchester for $180 that had a broken front sight. I spent $4 for a new front blade and was in bussiness.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strange question in some regards.

First, most leverguns are inexpensive to begin with and used ones can be had at a price most anybody can afford.

Second, domestic producers consist of Winchester and Marlin and either of these will suffice, you pick.

Sometimes, the rifles that Winchester and Marlin produced under different names, such as Ted Williams (Sears) and Glenfield can be bought for less and are actually the same rifles as the name brand guns, but may wear hardwood stocks instead of walnut. These can be bought for $200 or less on auctionarms and gunbroker and generally through the classifieds in your newspaper. Most 30-30's are carried a lot more than shot, so while the exterior may get banged up, the bore and innards are generally in good shape. Some people can manage to tear up anything, so look the goods over and if it appears to be in decent shape, you should get a decent truck gun for a couple hundred bucks.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will be fine with anything from Marlin or Winchester.
Check the local gun shops or gun shows and if you are lucky, maybe you can find one of the old cast iron frame Winchesters for a good price.

-Spencer