New
Find
Notify
Tools

old winchester, info needed.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just foundd this "lever action"board hopefully you guys can help me, i just picked these up and dont know all that much about them, if anyone has any info id be grateful to hear it. first octogon pat 1860 no model # no cal marked, anyone know what cal it might be? looks short and fat 44 maybe? ive seen others marked on the brass bottom but this is in good enough shape i should be able to see something? theres nothing?no cal, no mod? just the reg winchester lettering and the kings patten deal on the barrel.

second octogon model 1892 38 wcf

third mod 1894 32/44

4th mod 1892 32 wcf

fifth mod 1894 38/55!

the old military is a canada made 303 m10 straight pull ross.

Posts: 167 | Location: northeast NY | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice collection! The first should say Model 1873 on the tang. The caliber marking should be on top of the barrel just in front of the receiver. If it is a 44 it will say 44 WCF. The barrel looks shorter than standard. Standard was 24" or just a bit more. If it is shorter than 24" it has either been cut or it is a special order "short rifle".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nope nothing on the tang or barrel, other than the small lettering infront of the rear site. and like i say its in pretty decent shape i should be able to see something? the barrel is 19 1/4" to the reciever.

Posts: 167 | Location: northeast NY | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If there are no markings, I suspect it was refinished. If it was refinished it may well have had the barrel shortened too. If it has the serial number on the lower tang you can get a factory letter from the Cody museum that might give you information on when it was shipped and if it had any special features like the short barrel. Depends on when it was made as some of the records were lost. I think the letter costs $55.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya the serial # is there plain as day and the other small markings like the pattents and stuff so i figured the rest would be also. that sounds neat i think i might send for that paper. thank you.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Those are nice old rifles.

~Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3078 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote