THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Marlin 1895 in 45-70 to the range....Yea!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1895 in 45-70 to the range....Yea!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally got out with my rebarreled Marlin1895 in 45-70 to the range.

Everything I loaded shot great, but one load was amazing.

405g Cast Performance (.459) over IMR4198 produced this with iron sights at 50 yds. I hade many three shot groups under 2.5"

I think I found my load........

More about the rifle here:
http://rvbprecision.com/shooti...-octagon-barrel.html
http://public.fotki.com/Rberta...o-bang/marlin-1895g/

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roy; Excellent shooting!!! Like you, for much of my life, I built accurized 45 ACP's for competition, Benchrest rifles, ultralight hunting rifles, and custom revolvers (Ruger DA and SA, and Smiths). Because of that I can appreciate the hard work and headaches that go into a project like this. I got into lever guns a few years ago....just looking for something different to play with, and they are fun to shoot and fun to work on. "Its the details that count".... that little skylight in the front sight hood is the icing on the cake!!!! A beautiful rifle....impressive.... You done good!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep experimenting because the guys I know with that gun say they are good for as small as 1.5" groups !!
If you haven't hunted with it yet you'll find it's a great cartridge.
You have a sweet gun , enjoy it ! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
These 58 year old eyes with corrected vision are very pleased that I can even see the sights and the target all at the same time! I bet if this rifle had a scope, it would be a tack driver!

I've hunted for year a long time ago with a Marlin 336 in 30-30.......Lots of deer fell to that rifle.

These past two years I carried a Matrlin 1884CB in 45LC. Extremely accurate rifle and I shoot a very hot load using cut down 454 Casull brass.

But last week I bought a Rossi/Puma Winchester 92 in 454 Casull.......I just didn't want to beat up the Marlin 1884 too much.......

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roy, I bet you are correct that she will shoot much better with some good glass. They are capable of excellent accuracy at 100yards.

I love the re-barrel. Very nice.

I've had excellent success with IMR4198 in Marlin Guide 45/70, Guide in 450Marlin, and Ruger #1 with 300gr to 405gr. I tell ya, the 325 TSX is great in all of em.

One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
My Guide Gun loves 57.0 gr. of Varget under a 350 gr. Hornady round nose seated to and crimped at the top of the cannelure.
100 yard three shot groups hang around 1.25" when using a Burris 2.75X scout scope. Open sight groups open to about 2.00". I'm betting a WWG trigger would shrink these groups.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
My 1895 S shoots all bullet weights very well. It has a 22 inch barrel. Best group measured 11/32 of an inch at 100 yards with a 400 grain Speer and 50 brains of IMR 3031. Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
55-60 grains H4198 and a 300 grain bullet does well in mine. My avatar is a group from my Guide Gun!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote