Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin Trigger flops
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
Just got an 1894 cowboy in 44 Mag... shot it, cleaned it, put it back together and the trigger moves (flops) forward as if disconnected from something. I did not take the gun down any farther than the lever bolt and ejector... Did I miss something? The trigger still drops the hammer when pulled but I don't remember the flopping prior to taking it apart.

TIA for the help

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
im pretty sure my 1895 guide gun does the same thing.

one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Standard issue from the factory I'm afraid.
They all do it.
There is an aftermarket trigger kit available (whose name escapes me right now) that will eliminate it if you feel the need.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
No worries... Thanks for the help...

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
A Wild West Guns trigger will fix the "Marlin flop". I have them in all my Marlins, and they are great.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
From the WWG website:
A precision EDM sear and trigger that is hand polished to produce a crisp, clean 2-3 pound trigger pull on ALL Marlin centerfire lever rifles. Unique patent pending design eliminates the infamous and annoying Marlin trigger flop. Now anyone can have the crip, light trigger that has made our custom Marlin rifles well known all over the world. It's a trigger job in a package! Gunsmith fitting required. Available in Blue or Nickel. Retail Price: $89.00

Trigger Flop, at least I had the term correct Wink

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Lots of money for fixing a problem that is not a big deal in my book.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Agreed, I had my XLR for 3 years and never even noticed it

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Lots of money for fixing a problem that is not a big deal in my book.

I said the same thing until I tried one. They are worth every penny.

One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
Gunsmith fitting required

Funny, mine was a drop in fit. Personally I do not think it is worth it. Remove the hammer and sear and do a very light stoning on the contact surfaces, and clip about two coils off the hammer spring. A little more time involved, but a big savings. I did pick mine up at about 20 off that, at the Dallas Safari Club convention about 3 years ago. Considering that I have six Marlins to go if I were to install on each, I could come close to buying another for what those triggers would cost. My favorite addition for more comfortable shooting is the DRC large loop lever on my straight grip 45-70's and 38-55. That little squarish factory lever just hurts my hand on those calibers.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I have bought and installed 4 WWG triggers, and all were drop in and easy to install.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Well I currently have 9 Marlin centerfires in the shed. Sounds like lots of cash to me. Heck, I can buy another one for the cost of upgrading what I have. The triggers are not too bad on any that I have.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to check and yep, my Marlin 1895 XLR trigger flops too.

And as far as the trigger pull, mine actually feels pretty nice. So I'm leaving well enough alone.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Huh, whada ya know about that. My 36, reputedly made circa 1947, has no "flop" at all. It is a bit stiff, though.

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Because is has a one peice trigger.
The new ones have a two peice trigger, well, a sear and trigger with separate springs and the trigger block only functions on the trigger not the sear.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote