Find
Notify
Tools

99 make over
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
I just finished up fixing a 99 for my wife's father. It was his dads gun passed down. Needless to say it was rough so I didn't feel bad messing with it. Just a hobbyist but thought I'd share. I did the wood and farmed out the metal. A few before and afters. It's a 300 Savage.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
excellent work.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY nice work.

You have quite an heirloom there.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
vfery nice looking rifle, great job!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done. I would never have thought you could have fixed those screw holes.

BTW the wood looks FANTASTIC!

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Thanks, the wood was a ebay snag. One side came out a little plainer than I hoped but that happens I suppose.

The guy that fixed the holes did do a nice job. Here is a pic right after the repair.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great job! I like the wood and the crescent butt plate especially.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey,

That is a beautiful restore on a great old gun. I did something similar a while back with a 300 Savage grade EG (see A new life for a Savage 99 EG in 300 Savage) and had a similar issue with it being drilled and tapped. I just used plugs but that screw hole patch on yours is excellent. The butt plate tells me it probably an earlier grade of model 99. Tell us more. What grade, when was it made, how does it shoot, what finish did you use etc? Did you do the checkering work also? Very nice.

They are grand old lever guns and deserves to be back out in the field…you brought her back to life.
Thanks for sharing.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Paul, I like your rifle very much. I farmed out the checkering on this one. I'm still not confident enough to try it on others guns. Been practicing on old stocks though. This rifle was made in 1927. I actually haven't shot it. He wanted to keep the original barrel intact. I imagine it shoots minute of deer at reasonable ranges. I believe his Dad bought it in the 30's. His brother gets the prize for drilling for a scope and chopping off the original butt plate. This is the second stock I made for it. The first was about 90% done and I dropped it. Not hard but it's pretty thin in spots. It cracked, I could have fixed it but it would have driven me nuts. I suppose at least I have a good pattern now.

For the finish I used CPES as a sealer. It's a very thin epoxy, like diesel fuel I'd guess. I then put on some real thick coats of truoil and very carefully sanded that back to fill the pores and finished up with Seafin teak oil.

I'd like to find another in similar shape and make a .358win out of it for myself. So many projects so little time and $$

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Super job on an old Classic, you did it justice. That is a fantastic job on the screw holes.

Steve E.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work on a classic rifle. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sweet dempsey! I'm in the middle of a similar custom project 1899 Savage.

A word of caution re: taking a similar condition old 99 and re-working it into a .358. You'll need a 1950's era (or newer) 99 that was already chambered in .308, .243, etc. to start with. The earlier 99's (.300, .250-3000, .303 Savage, etc.) aren't suitable due to changes that were made to the internal dimensions of the receiver in order to accomodate the longer .308-class of cartridges. Simply swapping out the rotor and other small bits in an older action simply won't work. The change came around 1955 as I recall.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
gnoahhh, thanks for that info, I did not know that. Probably saved me a few bucks Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work. I have only one 99 in .300, plain-Jane, unrestored, but I've always admired the fancy ones.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote