New
Find
Notify
Tools

New toy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, old, actually: Winchester model 1895 in the original 7,62x53R caliber! And yes, it features the Russian stamps.

The gun features the "ears" for clip loading, and the quick-detachable sling swivel - I bet that was an industry first.
Unfortunately, the rear sight has been changed and the front stock cut. Of course the tools are missing. Otherwise it seems to be in original condition, however!

Took it to the range, of course, almost directly from the gun shop. @100m (110 yds) it grouped 44mm (1 6/8"), 38mm (1 1/2") with 4 shots on bench rest.
The last 2 shots I got into 12mm, just under 0.5"!!
The ammo used was Sako 8g (123grs) FMJ Range.

I'll be going to the range on Saturday again, this time also with some 180grs soft point hunting rounds. This'll be a dandy season!!!

"Pictures, man, pictures!" I hear you yelling.
Please help me post and I'll satisfy your thirst.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Veery interesting and worthy of pictures. Wink

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please help me post and I'll satisfy your thirst.

Didn't forget nutton! Just don't know how to....

- Lars

Update: See? Cool Sometimes the search function does bring results.

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is a grand old rifle. I am stunned at the great condition it is in. I was always under the impression that most were used until they fell apart. Pretty nice plank for a butt stock too. I wouldn't refinish it but if you did, some real pretty figure would pop out. Congratulations on a great piece.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Big Grin

Didn't think of refinishing/refurbishing the stock, but why not?
I figured I'll try to keep this as original as possible, and swap the original sling from my other 1895 onto this. It has the original patented clasp on it, you see, so this would then be one step closer to original again.

It's funny: the most expensive I've seen had a price tag of 1000 Euros (yes, one thousand) and I know of another whose asking price is a whopping 1600 Euros!
But you can find usable 1895s for as low as maybe 150.

- Lars

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Where can you get one for 150 Euro? For that price I need one, I really, really, really want one in 405 Win.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
That is hands down the best find I've seen all year. BTW it is 7.62x54R not 53 as that was the Finnish designation. Made for the Czar and wandered off into obscurity. Lucky man!

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've always called it the 53R in Finland, and that it is to me!
When I first came across the 54R designation, I was most confused.

900 SS:
Don't know if you'll very easily find a .405!
I'd be most surprised to find one outside the U.S.

-Lars

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Either way she is sweet! Since Sako is Finn, makes sense.

One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
quote:

900 SS:

-Lars

I know, but for 150 Euro I would be very happy with a 7,62x53R. Are the Finnish models the same as US ones?

Are you reloading for her? Keep us posted on load development and what kind of groups you get.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 900 SS:
quote:

900 SS:

-Lars

I know, but for 150 Euro I would be very happy with a 7,62x53R. Are the Finnish models the same as US ones?

Are you reloading for her? Keep us posted on load development and what kind of groups you get.

It is a Czar era Russian rifle. The Russian model was longer and was equipped for a bayonet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

As stated below.
Usually the ones found here are sporterized in one way or the other: at least the front stock is usually cut, sometimes the barrel also. The rear sight is usually changed, too.

But apart from that, it's the same gun.

quote:

Nope, don't reload.
Sako Range costs 40 Euros per a box of 50 so little point in reloading. I can also get reloaded ammo from a couple of friends who do load.

Today I bought some Lapua Naturalis ammo with 180gr bullets.
The grouping was nice, less than 2" @ 100m so far better than the Sako Hammerheads. The price, though, is pretty steep @ 54 Euros per a box of 20. As an added bonus the feeding was absolutely superb!

- Lars

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are a few of them here in Oz, I have owned two of them!

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Schauckis knows whereof he speaks. CIP lists both 7.62x53R and 7.62x54R. While cartridges should be interchangeable between both chambers, there are minor differences in chamber dimensions. We make reamers for both.

Dave Manson

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your find. I love my 95, but it doesn't have the history of yours. It's a new production in .30/06, but it does shoot better than most expect a lever to do.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update:
My colleague is a Winchester collector - amongst others, he has a flat-side 1895! - and he identified the gun to be of the later production run to the Russian Czar. This he was able to tell on basis of the serial number of the gun.

Apart from that, he also verified the barrel to be of original length and considered the gun to be in good condition - and a cheap buy! Cool
He also very much appreciated the accuracy of the gun.

- Lars

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot