New
Find
Notify
Tools

Somebody Buy This So I Don't!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
No, if you look closely in the last photo you can see it has your name on it.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doh!

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Force is powerful, Obi Wan!

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Have you asked yourself WHY you need that caliber in New Jersey? You can kill the NJ bears with a .243.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africa, Mexico, Canada, Alaska, Idaho, Texas....my travels take me elsewhere!

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Aaah, come on and just admit that you like guns.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I LOVE guns...rifles at least :-)

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
28" barrel? wonder how much it weighs?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill73,
since my 1886 .45-90 with 26 inch octagon barrel weighs 9.5 pounds unloaded, I would guess the 71 weight close to 10 pounds which is probably a good thing to help absorb recoil from heavy loads.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Where will you be getting brass?

The .348 had a bit of a comeback for a while because Browning re-introduced the Model 71 in 1987 but they didn't exactly make truckloads. Winchester also reintroduced the Model 71 a few years ago. But they didn't exactly make truckloads either. I would not be surprised if most of the reproductions are safe queens and most of what's left are shot very little or not at all. So, there isn't much an a calling for brass or ammo, not much at all.

Do yourself a favor. Try to find brass or ammo, .348 or .450 Alaskan, before you decide to buy the rifle.

Waning availability of so many of the older lever rifle cartridges is one of the reasons I based my wildcat on the 7.62x54R case.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh go ahead and buy it - bring it up here to minnesota and i'll take you on a guided mosquito hunt Just make sure to bring enuf ammo

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Where will you be getting brass?

The .348 had a bit of a comeback for a while because Browning re-introduced the Model 71 in 1987 but they didn't exactly make truckloads. Winchester also reintroduced the Model 71 a few years ago. But they didn't exactly make truckloads either. I would not be surprised if most of the reproductions are safe queens and most of what's left are shot very little or not at all. So, there isn't much an a calling for brass or ammo, not much at all.

Do yourself a favor. Try to find brass or ammo, .348 or .450 Alaskan, before you decide to buy the rifle.

Waning availability of so many of the older lever rifle cartridges is one of the reasons I based my wildcat on the 7.62x54R case.

Actually you can find 348 brass pretty easy,Buffalo arms co has in stock,348 win on gun broker & if you are forming anyways? you can do so from the 475 Turnbull as well.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

DRSS.

I love long-barrel leverguns. That's what drew me to it.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
450 alaskan and 50 alaskan cases are available from starline.

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

DRSS.

Long barrels are ok but I don't know if they belong on a quick to the shoulder lever action repeater? I have two levers with 26" barrels, 45-90 & 416-348, love em both but wonder how they would fare in heavy bush & up close hunting?

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
With such long barrels, I wonder how many cartridges it takes. It certainly should be steady offhand when fully loaded.

Posts: 5009 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:

Actually you can find 348 brass pretty easy,Buffalo arms co has in stock,348 win on gun broker & if you are forming anyways? you can do so from the 475 Turnbull as well.

Buffalo Arms indicates they are out of stock

Captech International (was Jameson) is out of stock.

MidwayUSA shows 348 ammo "Out of Stock, No Backorder"

Yes, GunBroker has some brass at auction. Half of what's offered is fired cases. Still, there are some new, unfired, some as old as 1956 vintage.

If one is to depend on old shelf stock and fired cases at auction for the brass to fire-form into .450 Alaska cases then I guess you could say brass is available. You would have to bid and win an auction to buy a box from one guy, then another auction to buy a couple from another, etc. Or just wait for the next special manufacturing run, however long that takes. But I wouldn't exactly call that easy to find.

Difficult as brass is to find now it will only get more difficult and expensive to find in the future. Many folks don't care about such stuff. Heck, I shoot .375 NE 2-1/2". But it is something to consider before purchasing a rifle that could get you into an ammo and brass pinch.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
It sure is not like buying brass for your 45-70,that is for sure,but if you want to shoot the big 450? you will find brass,I shoot 5 win 71's & they are all based of the 348 win case,I never got stuck without brass.Buffalo arms has 200 cases in stock if anyone is looking,I just called & verified this.

BTW,
I have really enjoyed reading about the .405 Grenadier.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

DRSS.

Biebs buy this get brass then sell it in a couple of weeks for a loss and you well be just fine.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be Deja Vous all over again! :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could intervene on your behalf. Unfortunately, the yearly arms procurement budget has been allocated.

Buy it and sell it to me for 75% of purchase price in 2 years.

Posts: 11356 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately, the yearly arms procurement budget has been allocated.

Pretend you're the government...emergency funding!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just quit talking and buy it. It's like women, most are good, some are better. Can't lose, except money. dancing

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill G. in Oregon
posted Hide Post
I would really like to buy it, but I think it's sold.

Posts: 1783 | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bieber: did you buy her?

Posts: 11356 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you did.Clears your mind. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde,"The best way to avoid temptation is to give in to it."I think he was referring to another gun but the point still remains. BTW I think that Bertram has 45 basic cases + possibly some other suppliers.Loading for these obsolete ones is more than half the fun.Please post if you bought it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
crshelton, largest black killed in NJ was upper 700lbs veryi close to 800lbs, how about in texas? stir Plus the fact that you cant use a rifle, shotgun or black powder only.... homer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I.learned from.last ammo ,brass shortage don't by anything you can't find ammo ,brass or bullets for or you will be just looking at it one day !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I persevered and let it pass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
TAKE IDAHO OFF THAT LIST, IT WOULD BE GREVIOUS MISTAKE TO SHOW UP HERE WITH SUCH A RIFLE. PEOPLE WITH SUCH HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO DISAPEAR, THEY TELL ME THE YETI GETS,UM..

Besides the last one and the only one I shot, I thought the yeti has got me..whew!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Biebs: I am both happy and sad for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, can't have them all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't prove that by me. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dominus Praedatoris

You have a point, as there is no legal hunting of bear in Texas.
Black bear were common in the eastern and southern parts of the state back just after statehood, but now they are seen only in the Big Thicket, far northeast counties adjoining OK, Ar, and LA and along parts of the Mexican border. The last ones that I heard of being killed were shot by deer hunters down along the Rio Grande.
They are making a comeback in the piney woods, but the game department still keeps the season closed; so we have to go out of state to legally shoot bear.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Have you asked yourself WHY you need that caliber in New Jersey? You can kill the NJ bears with a .243.

No, you can't because NJ is a shotgun only state!

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunting buddy bought this rifle. Working up loads for the beast. It actually balances pretty well. Weighs around 10 pounds stoked with ammo. Gun is going on a cowboy safari to Zim.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LB:
My hunting buddy bought this rifle. Working up loads for the beast. It actually balances pretty well. Weighs around 10 pounds stoked with ammo. Gun is going on a cowboy safari to Zim.

Now that is really cool,what game is he after?

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My hunting buddy bought this rifle.

Wow, small world, huh?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
His plan is to hunt buff and maybe a tuskless. He's still working up loads. Hopes to get 2100 with 400 grain bullets.