New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin 1895 - 45-70 Recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have two .45-70s, a '70s issue 1895 with 22" bbl. and a Browning repro. 1886SRC; both of these came with curved carbine style butts. I worked up to the maximum loads in the Hodgdon #27 manual with 400 gr. Swift A-Frames, 400 gr. Kodiaks and 400 gr. hardcast bullets. The recoil was very severe, as bad as a .378 Roy and much nastier than my .375H&H or even slug guns. So, I cut the butts and put pads on them, they still boot me pretty good, but, with practice I can shoot repeated, close range shots quickly.

Of all the purpose built Grizzly guns I have ever tried and that is quite a few, I consider these best. The 1886 SRC in particular is just a fabulous gun, smooth, reliable and accurate with it's Ashley ghost ring. It is easier to pack around than my much-loved P-64s in .375 and it holds more shots; I have a butt cuff and lots of bright red duct tape on it so I can see it in an emergency.

I totally agree, a handgun on your hip-difficult here in totalitarian Kanada in any case-is more for ego-boosting than real bear defense, a Guide Gun is MUCH better. The old .45-70 ranks right up there with the .338 Win. and the 9.3x74r as my favourite rounds, I would love a fine double rifle in both the 9.3 and the .45-70....who wouldn't!

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote