New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 -350 FN NorthFork question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm loading Cast Performance and Hornady interlocks. Looking for somthing with a tougher jacket than the Hornadys.

What are your experiences with Northfork 350 gr FN in Marlin GG ? What velocities perform for you on elk, moose size animals. Have you recovered any of these bullets? If you had to use it on a big bear would you?
Art/Wyoming

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Hi Art-I hate to speek for someone else but I know a guy who uses nothing but North Forks in his 45-70.It is a great bullet as one would expect from North Fork.He has killed a nice 6X6 Bull with it at 213 yards and he did recover the bullet and it looked picture perfect somewhat like the Swift A-Frame with perfect expantion without deforming in anyway.He shoots them a tad over 2150 fps in a 22 inch barrel.He also states he would use it on Bear and I don't blame him from what I have seen it is one tough bullet.

In 350 grains the North Fork is hard to beat but Swift has just came out with a new 350 A-Frame made for the 45-70/450 Marlin which would be a heck of a bullet also as all Swift A-Frames are.Kodiak makes a 350 Heavy Jacketed bullet that the Alaskans swear by and ofcourse with Hawk bullets you can get the jacket thickness of your choice.I know one guy who had some 380 Hawks made up just for him with .050 jackets and it is quite the performer in his test.

Good luck on your choice....Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I was hoping to drive it about 2000 fps.

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Art-You can easily shoot the 350 grain North Fork in a modern 45-70 at 2,000 fps even in the Guide Gun.I load the 350 Hornady at 2025 fps in my Guide Gun and without trying I am sure I could get 2100 fps with the North Fork in the Guide Gun as Buffalo Bores 350 Speer chrono's out of mine at 2114 fps.The 350 Speer isn't a bad bullet either for the 45-70/450 Marlin like the Hornady 350 RN-Made for the .458 Win Mag and African plains game.

Lots of good choices now.....Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Where do you buy the North Fork bullets? Are they a WEB only retailer?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Northforks are so consistant they are terribly boring, they all look like little clones perfectly expanded, and I mean ALL OF THEM IN ANY CALIBER.....

They may be the very best bullet ever produced...I have tried my best to destroy them on heavy bone like Eland spines and Buffalo and Bison spines and shoulders, and the still work on a deers ribs cage..What they do is expand quickly and then stay together....They penitrate sufficiently.

If you want more penitration then use the North fork cup points, now thats a bullet for mean, big and tough game...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input on North Forks, will order a couple boxes for testing.
ARt