THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Model 94 Accuracy Results & Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 94 Accuracy Results & Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a 1973 vintage Model 94 in excellent condition recently.

Installed a Lyman receiver sight and took it to the range yesterday.

With factory Remington 170gr loads it shot a 2.6in three shot group at 100yds after some sighting in.

Using a 6in diameter target dot the front sight covers the entire target at 100 yds. I was holding into the target. Is there a better way to hold in order to get better groups?

Does anyone know of a good 'smith to work over the trigger. The pull is crisp but at least 6.5lb!!

All the best;
Brett

One of Us
Picture of steph123
posted Hide Post
Brett, that is a pretty good group! My '94 is a '68 vintage rifle and if absolutely hates 170gr bullets, but it will shoot 2.5" groups with 150gr Sierras at 100 yards. I think I might even do better if I could scope it.

Posts: 139 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes 2.6" isn't bad! You can probably do better after you get the trigger done.

When I am shooting for groups I use a 6 o'clock hold. In other words sit the bull on top of the front bead or post.

The best target for a bead front sight is to cut a 11" or 12" round hole in a piece of black paper(I use building paper) and put a white center in the black ring. To aim just center the bead in the black ring. You should see an even white ring around the bead. This method is good to use when sighting in for hunting if you want to have the bullets hit at the center of the bead at some distance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Thanks for the advice, that's helpful.

Still trying to find a good smith to do the trigger and the other odds and ends, releiving the bands etc.

Best;
Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 pre-64 M94's in .30-30. I followed directions found in an old Gun Digest (don't remember year)and both now shoot really well. Both seem to prefer 170 gr. Sierra's.
BTW I use 6 o'clock hold on 100 yd target, sight for center hit (about +3"). A good peep sight really helps.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CGB,

Do you recall what the directions were?

What kind of groups do you get 1in - 2in etc?

All the best;
Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I recall you make sure mag. tube is not contacting forend, front band was opened up around either the mag. tube or bbl. so that it was a nice slip fit. I believe those were the biggest issues. As for groups, 170 Sierra loaded to around 2200 fps go about 2" at 100y ( probably about as well as I can shoot iron sights). Load used W748 and bullets were slightly crimped. Watch forend pressure on rest when shooting. The older rifle likes about 1 gr. less powder than the other for best accuracy. I would expect that a good smith could slick up the trigger to 3# or so.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have glass bedded a few 94s and it usually improved them at least an inch or more..roll up a magazine cover for the magazine when glassing the barrel channal, makes cleaning up the bedding and not getting things stuck..Glassing the 94 is a little tricky, but after doing a number of them I have the hang of it now. It really works well in 99% of the cases and the 30-30 cartridge itself in inherintly accurate. Most have shot form an inch to 1.5 inches, none over 2 inches so far.

For a sight arrangement I like a deep V cut rear sight and use a "flush" post picture view with that, much like on a pistol. Old Texas Ranger trick, for fast moving targets and it really works, its like a receiver sight.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote