New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 alaskan
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I plan to rechamber an Winchester model 1886 from caliber 45-70 to 450 alaskan and I wonder if it´s anyone here who have load data for that caliber. What is the max velocity out of that cartridge with 350 grain and 400 grains bullets?

What is the pressure limits for model 1886?
This rifle is for smokeless powder and bought 2004.

Kalle

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kalle, Hope this will help you. It's a link from Beartooth Bullets.

http://www.loadswap.com/display.php?action=view_weight&cartridge_id=114&table=Rifle_Data

Rooster

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have the Win 71 harold johnson JKR 450 AK......how can I help you?

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Careful with handloading data, the Mod 71 is a stronger action than the M-1886..The 71 is the better for such conversions IMO.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Careful with handloading data, the Mod 71 is a stronger action than the M-1886..The 71 is the better for such conversions IMO.

Ray I have read that the modern 1886 replicas are actually better for these convesrions as the lugs are not angles forwards like on the m71 is this correct ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC is right. The new 86 actions are better for the conversion. The 71's have angled locking lugs which casue the action to open up with heavy loads.

I have an 86 rechambered to 450/110 which is a 50/110 necked down to .458. It is basically a 450 Alaskan on steriods, matching a 458 Win Mag in a 22 inch lever gun. Dave Clay did the conversion.

The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can be sure after firing a few full-house loads in either the '86 or '71 you will look for a lesser accurate load.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JN,

I have had a 50-110 built on an 1886 repro. I am going to like this rig. It took a while to export the rifle over which started as a mirokou extra lite 45/70, quality of thses repro's is second to none, it is a substantial feeling rifle, I love the sounds of your rig as well, one could also have a .470/110 which would match the capstick .470 in a lever gun. This 50-110 should be able to drive a 525 gr bullet to 2100 -2200 fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That may be true on the repos, I was thinking he said he was having an old Win 86 rechambered..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
That may be true on the repos, I was thinking he said he was having an old Win 86 rechambered..

Ray you and I tend to agree on most things.....in fact the only bone of contention you and I have is over the speer 9.3 270gr bullet Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kalle,

I had a Browning 71 done to 450AK. The other posters are correct as to the beveled bolt stops. Not sure they caused the occasional lever opening though. I believe recoil was the culprit. With your hand in the lever, firing heavy loads, the gun would jump and your hand would drop, casing the lever to break just a little. This didn't happen all the time, but would happen. With moderate loads, no problem. With 400 grainers at 2150 (chronographed), it would do it occasionally.
The only other problem I encountered was hangfires or misfires with light loads. These were loads from respected loading guides. Be very careful with squib loads. Very disturbing when the gun goes off a moment after squeezing the trigger. Real disturbing when it goes off a second after squeezing the trigger.
Have one made, there a fun gun to shoot and load for.

Wish I hadn't sold mine.

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God I love these big V-8 lever guns Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
My .450 is a Danish Krag with the JKR stamp. Bright yellow maple California style stock with purple wood grip cap, forend tip, and side panels. You can spot it at 100 yards easy. Have never dared shoot it.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is mine.
I finally got to some photos for you.

I used an MRC 1/2 octogon and 1/2 round barrel leaving it untapered to add a bit of weight to help hold down recoil.
I light the HH style fron sight which is plenty fine of a bead and has a great night sight which fold out of the way for those early hours and end of light shooting. I built this primarily for bear on the ground and in the deep forests here on the north coast.
I have been using 3031 powder with the 350 mag tip bullet but have tried a few 500 grainers which produce way too much recoil for ease of shooting.
Good luck with yours.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
very nice!! clap jumping

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote