Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 rattle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted
ok...i at long last purchased what i knew would be my new darlin...a cowboy marlin in 45/70 with a barrel that goes way out there and the underbarrel mag that goes out with the barrel.

she is a hoot to shoot with 405 rem shells and carries like a rifle should. problem is that the dang thing rattles when i walk. the shells rattle inside the tube mag. eight shells rattling inside the tube makes it hard to keep quiet when the need arises. dont even think about jogging thru the woods as the rattle sounds like an old ford coming to a stop.

anybody else experience this and if youve fixed it.....pleeeeese tell me how as this rifle is the very thing the dr has ordered.

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
wow guess im a little impressed that nobody has written on this problem. guess nobody else has this problem. guess ill try marlin then.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I'm not bashing Marlin, but I've never seen one that didn't rattle. As a side note, my 30-30 Marlin does the same thing, as does my wife's 94 in 357.

My Win 1886 in 45-70 does not rattle at all however.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
have 2 1895s ,one with 22 inch barrel and a 18 inch guide gun ,both are noisy. guide gun the worst , what made the worst noise was the cartridge lifter ,look on bottom where lever is ,see the small tab sticking out? put a piece of black electritions tape on it ,gun will function and wont be noisy (keeps lifter from moving side to side and up and down ,exept when lever is used),it is what i do .to take tape residue off just let soak in bore cleaner a bit ,will wipe right off .second noise guide gun made came from magazine ,if loaded 4 in tube one in chamber,it rattled ,if loaded 3 in tube one in chamber it DID NOT rattle

Posts: 4 | Location: lexington ky | Registered: 23 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
rite on rem700. it does rattle some from the lifter as do the other two marlin 95's i own however this hummer really rattles with the cart inside the mag tube.

maybe have to just take care when in the field and try not to jostle it too much. leaving it home is not an option as i really like the carry and handling of this looooong barreled 45. if my ped sharps wasnt so dang heavy...id carry it but it will wear me out just lifting it at the range.

thanks tho...ill keep fiddling with it and if i can find a fix...ill start another scratch here about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a guide gun. Had it since 2003. The ammo in the mag doesn't rattle. I wonder if you might need a new/different mag tube spring and follower?

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote