New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin 1894 accuracy ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have had one of the 44s and three 357s. I think that old saw about them not shooting cast bullets is bunk. All of them shot cast bullets fine. I kept the 357 that was most accurate, and use it mainly for cowboy shooting now. Some of my favorite loads are with the 155 SWC lyman bullet cast hard. In 357 or 38spl cases and lots of 2400 powder, it shoots hard and will stay in 2 1/2 inches all day long. The SWC bullet does hang up feeding and require a little jiggle on the lever occasionally. For flawless feeding, and because they don't like you to shoot up cowboy targets, I shoot round nosers. The 160 lyman RN will shoot 2 1/2 inch groups at 100 like the SWC, but I use the lee 6 hole molds. Their RN bullets aren't quite as accurate, but I like the output. My Marlins never seem to have a leading problem, but some of these loads lead up my Rugers in a hurry.

Not so much experience with jacketed bullets but W296 powder and 158 grain bullets get about 2 1/2 inches. I've shot very few factory loads but I have a target with 158 gr Winchesters going in 2" at 50 yards. I think Wins 140 gr silvertip shoots real good, but I apparently never kept a target.

Posts: 247 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up an old beat up 336 striaght grip for $100 bill at a pawn shop a few weeks ago in 30-30 cal. I put a 2.5X Leupold-Lyman-Alaskan on it in Talley R&Bs...That 7/8 tube looks real neat..It is a neat package.

It shot 1" at 100 yards every time at Brockmons a couple of days ago with Factory Federal 170s..Guess I will keep that little bugger..

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote