Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 94 in 44 mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jghoghunter
posted
I would like to reload 44mags for this marlin but I want to know how heavy of bullet have you guys loaded and still functioned thru the action. I've reloaded the 240's but have not been impressed by their performance. Looking for something around 300gr.

Posts: 30 | Location: exact center of pa | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
265 grain Hornady with Win 296 powder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I could be confused again homer but believe Marlin's twist rate has issues with bullets heavier than 260grs..

The various Rossi made M92s may need cast (.432 bores) but do better with the heavier boolits.

EDITED: There you are, buckeyeshooter's does well.

John
Retired husband & grandpa

"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 87 | Location: On permanent vacation in the South West  | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I shoot 300 grain hornday xtp's in mine behind a max charge of 2400. I gt exceptional accuracy and they work well on game. My 1894 is one of the microgroove barrels that is not suppossed to shoot heavier than 240 grainers well, but it works exceptionally. Give it a try and see how your gun shoots.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first "deer" rifle was a Ruger Deerstalker.
I killed several deer with various factory ands later handloads with 240 HP and SP bullets.

For the normal deer I think they are hard to beat.

If I was hunting big pigs I have found the Winchester 250 Partition to work well and in the handgun the Speer 270 SP good as well.

The 44 Mag rifle kills game way beyond what its paper ballistics would suggest, out to at least 125 yards [as far as I have used it].

I currently have a Winchester 44 Mag Trapper.
I would not hesitate to use it for even brown bear protection, with the proper deep penetrating bullets.

My wife and I have carried it for Grizzly protection in Montana.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've got an octagon barrelled 1894 limited in .44 and I've had good luck with the 300gr XTP and a 325gr LSWC with max loads of W296 out to 100 yards. I'd bet that 325gr'r would ruin most critter's day if they got up close and personal Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jghoghunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all the good info. I'll will be trying some of it in the near future. Looking forward to carrying next deer season.

Posts: 30 | Location: exact center of pa | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year I shot 5 hogs in one weekend with Nosler 240gr SP. Hogs weighed between 80 and 196 lbs. All except the smallest dropped with one shot each. Little one took 2 shots.
Exit holes on all shots. Ranges 50 to 109 yds.
Hope this helps. John