THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Strength of modern 1886 Winchester
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strength of modern 1886 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted
I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on the strength of the modern 1886 Winchester 45-70. I bought one of the modern made rifles that was manufactured (I believe) in 1999. I have shot all the stout Winchester factory loads through it but was wanting to try some Garret offerings in it.

I want to take it on my next trip to Africa and shoot cape buffalo with it. For safety's sake I would like to shoot the stoutest cartridge possible. I know the Marlin Guide Gun will take any load made. I can't imagine this Winchester would not do the same.

Anyone have any experience with this or can provide any opinions?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anything, the 1886 is stronger than any Marlin. This is because it has a bigger frame and is longer with better locking mortises cut into the inside of the receiver. I would suggest that you try some Buffalo Bores rather than that 500 gr Garrett load. Yes, it will penetrate a bit more than some loads, but his premise that low velocity is the cure-all is bogus.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
Anyone have any experience with this or can provide any opinions?

Bwanna,

I would say 40,000 to maybe 45,000psi. Not that the '86 is weak or anything. I have seen even the old 86's shot much too hot in my opinion.

The action is "springy" at higher pressures and any primary extraction is non-existant by design so staying around 40,000psi max is a good idea for a hunting gun to be relied on. I think the new ones are as strong as the Marlin.

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Winchester ! as I did 45/90 is my choice !and the rifle will come apart over 40,000 psi so be careful load yopur own and stay away from that psi #

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'd say that the 1886 is far tougher then the shooter. I know I'd give up long before I reached the upper limits.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
If you want to see how strong they really are..Check out the link where some good old boys set out to see just how much the Marlin and Winchester would take.Good read!!
http://leverguns.sixgunner.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&T..._ID=2060&whichpage=3

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
In the 60-65,000 PSI range using H-110(A Hot Pistol Powder) and the first sign was the action coming unlocked....

The Marlin and Winchester are both tough with a slight edge to the Winchester.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaycocreek:
The Marlin and Winchester are both tough with a slight edge to the Winchester.

Jayco

Actually, a huge edge to the Winchester 86. It is much, much stronger than the Marlin 1895. As per the testing done in the thread mentioned.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote