Find
Notify
Tools

336 project ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted
I've recently aquired an older (non cross-bolt safety) Marlin 336 that I'd like to do a project on, and would like recommendations on a qualified lever gun smitty to do so for me.
I'd like to have the barrel cut down to 16.5", have the front sight re-attached, and a set of XS sights installed. Will probably also add a big loop lever. Just want to create a compact, quick handling scabbard type gun.
Since I pick the gun up for the low, low price of free, I don't mind spending a little bit on it, but its a little rough, and will mainly be used as a beater and a loaner. So show quality craftsmanship isn't a must. Just want experienced reliability.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out www.grizzlycustom.com then there is also wild west guns in Alaska

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you until you got to the big loop lever. Never figured out what that was about.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
I'm with you until you got to the big loop lever. Never figured out what that was about.

Hunt in the cold with a pair of thick gloves and you'll soon find out what the big loop is all about...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
companies like grizzly custon make big loop levers that arent that big, more like a medium size so they dont look ridiculous....

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shof:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:

Hunt in the cold with a pair of thick gloves and you'll soon find out what the big loop is all about...

Hmm...maybe so, but I haven't had problems with what I have been using. Course I do hunt in the south so you probably have a good point.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
As for the big loop, its mainly for appearance on a .30-30. I like the looks!
On my WWG .50 Alaskan and .45-70 guide gun, it's a definite knuckle saver. The standard size lever on the heavy recoiling guns beats the sh¡+ out of my fingers.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are good enought reasons for the big loop. I use to shoot some pretty hot stuff in my .45/70, took a brownie with it in 95. Never had a problem with my hands getting beat up. But I do have smallish hands, could be the difference.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson, Plains, Mt 406-826-3790 can fix you up and not break the bank..

I've hunted in the worst of weather and never needed a big loop lever, mostly its Hollywoody IMO..You really don't have to stick your fingers in the loop anyway. Just my opine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41998 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always thought that a Marlin 336 in .25-35 would be a cool project to build.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a fun project on a 336. The big loop is a plus if you got big mitts like me. I have to take my gloves off if I want to lever my 30as or do it with two fingers. My GBL fits the ticket on levering for me. I have to try on different extra large work gloves to see if they go over my hands. Always got razzed on for the popeye forearms and big mitts lol.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

“The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.”

When the SHTF he with the most lead will retain the most gold!

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote