THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    1894 winchester Question Pictures
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1894 winchester Question Pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend brought over a 1894 wichester that his father had in the safe. The serial # 249262 puts it at 1902. But here is the kicker the thing is engraved all over the rifle it has a doe and a Buck on one side and the other side it has a Bear. There is scroll all over the Barrel Tang , loop and reciever . How can we findif this is factory or after market engraving. I will call the cody people to try to get a factory Letter.[URL= ][URL= ][URL= ][URL= ][[URL= [URL=[URL= ]

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any help out there

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
There is a forum on Gunbroker that a guy named Bert is on, he is truly a Winchester lever action expert. Get better pictures and get his opinion, he will set you straight if no one here has your answer.
Then come back and post your findings.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can get a copy of Turnbull's book on the Winchester patterns and customs you may find the same pattern to match. I have that book in my for sale stuff and will try to get it tomorrow.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure of the serial number?

The upper tang where it meets the receiver, the buttstock, the hammer shape and forearm shape are correct for a post WW2 carbine.

James Wisner

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd bet pretty good money that the engraving is Japanese (although I am working from the one half way decent pic, the others are too blurry to see any detail), almost certainly done post WWII.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a big mistake it is post , between being blind and stupid it was 2409262.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir you did, the hammer is a dead give away that its a later gun..I would second the motion that the engraving is Japanese, but hey its a nice gun anyway you cut it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found out this was engraved by Pauline Muerrle
not Jap engraved I have an email to here to see when she did it. It has her Initals on it.