THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Teddy Roosevelt 1895 in 405 wow!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teddy Roosevelt 1895 in 405 wow!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally got my Teddy Roosevelt Winchester 1895 in 405 win.I got 4 boxes of the Teddy Roosevet Winchester ammo also.I am impressed with the wood and metal on this gun.The guy that had it took off the Davidsons sticker on the barrel which caused it to be $700 less than normal.I jumped on it like a fly on stink.I cant wait to shoot it.I am going to load up some 41 mag bullets the Hornady 210 gr XTP hollow points .I hope one day I get a buffalo permit and use this gun.I wanta kill a moose and elk with it too.These rifles are awesome and only 1000 were made.I have wanted a 405 for 40 something years from the age of 5.I hope it shoots as good as it looks.I plan to load from 170 gr to 400 gr bullets.Anyone gotta any favorite 404 loads?

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great news! Pictures would be nice. I'm sure quite a few of us want one of them.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
I never loaded 400grs bullets in the .405WCF. I mean the bullet is too heavy for the small case.
I loaded bullets from 210 up to 300grs. The 210grs SP and XTP/HP I load with 52grs of Norma N200. The 300grs Hornady´s and Woodleight bullets with Vith N140. My favourite load at the moment is a Oregon Trail 265grs lead gas check and 30grs of Vith N110.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I have taken pronghorn and nilgai with the factory Hornady flat nosed JSP and have several boxes of those.
However, after the nilgai, I wanted a tougher bullet for tough game and so far have only loaded and hunted with the Northfork 300 PSP, FPS, and CPS and am quite pleased with the results on the range and on water buffalo. Smiler
I have loaded, but not hunted with the 400 gr Hornady DGS and am working up loads for the 400 gr Woodleigh FMJ and JSP. When these 400 grain load research projects are complete, the results will be posted.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 1895 in 405 WCF I use the following loads.

300 Hornady FP Factory Crono 2265 fps.

300gr Hornady FP bullet with 54gr of IMR 3031 chrono 2152 fps.

300gr North Fork hullet with 54.5gr of IMR 3031 chrono 2250fps.

All 3 of these loads hit the same place at 100 yards.

I am using the standard iron sights that came on the rifle. The elevation ladder is on the second notch up from the bottom.

Each notch on the ladder moves the bullet impact @4.5" at 100 yards, ie 4.5 MOA.

So, if you are dead on at 100 with factory velocity loads, one step up will put you near zero at 200 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at RL#7 which shows up the best on my chronograph. Am shooting 300 grainers at 2500fps and 400 grain woodlieghs at 2200 fps
An awsom round in a small package. For all around big game and DG, I like the North Fork
360 grain at 2225 fps. Dead hogs don't lie.
Shoot straight and good hunting.

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
Got two, a standard and a high grade, no TR model though. I have only shot the 300 gr Hornandy over 54gr of 303l, and a custom NEI gas check cast bullet loaded a bit slower.

My standard grade has a Providence engineering Lyman 32(I think) reproduction receiver sight, which works much better for my old eyes. I just cannot bring myself to change anything on the high grade.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the lever the pressure monotor in the 1895 winchester?I know its not the primer you will lock it up before then.I want to keep this Teddy roosevelt model shooting for a long time.Its a shame so many sit in the box unshot .They are a blast to shoot.I love blowing up gallon water bottles with the 210 gr Nosler .410 bullets.I am going to try the 210 gr Hornadys next.I gotta get some 300 and 400 gr bullets soon and more brass for sure.What is your brass life.I have shot some of mine 5 times already with the light loads.I am smoking some cases I guess low pressure or something.It was hard to load the soft cases the first time then I reamed the necks and it went smoother.I need to anneal my next batch of brass.I do wish it had a scope on it.I think long range for me will be 50 yards or 150 on a moose.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
I hunt with and shoot my 95 in .405 Win. all the time. I even use it at NRA Sillouette matches.

I think the 400grn bullets are too long for the standard chamber. I think it has to be bored out more before you can seat them in the chamber. Anyone else have any infor on this? I only use 300 grain Hornady's and Montana Bullet company cast.

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote