Find
Notify
Tools

Got the levers out today
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Got the lever actions out today and shot them all at 50 yards from the bench and offhand ringing gongs at 50. Lots of fun, a few of these rifles I grew up with, a few other I picked up along the way.
1892 SRC 32WCF, 1894 30 WCF, 1894 Octagon rifle 32WS, 94 30/30, 94 SRC 45 Colt.
Fun day.

The 32 WS (32 Special) shot the best, first shot high then adjusted and shot 3, old gal still gets it done.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Now to clean them all Smiler

If you haven't done it already, remember to use muzzle protectors.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
And your favorite from the bunch?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nice little collection of lever guns there. Out of curiosity how well does the 45 colt feed? I've heard that can be be a bit cranky.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
And your favorite from the bunch?

That is a really tough question, I like something about all of them but 2 of them have family history as well as I took several deer with those 2.
The 1894 in 30 WCF (second from left) was my granddads gun that he used and loaned out in Northern British Columbia. Before I started hunting with it at 12 years of age it had taken Mountain Goats, Caribou, Moose, Black Bears and Grizzly Bears. I shot a pile of Blacktailed Deer with it as well.
The 1894 Rifle in 32WS has been in the family even longer and I also shot a mess of deer with it too as a youngster so both of those are very dear to me.
The 1892 I picked up this last year 2016, very nice SRC.
And yes Cougarz the 45 Colt rifle has hiccupped a few times in about 300 rounds through it, I wondered if it was just the deeply seated bullets, I mean to try some 250 grain bullets in it and see how they feed.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice mess o' Winchesters friend! I had a 92 in .32-20 a few years ago. What a pleasant rifle to shoot.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16530 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill,
I really do like this 32/20 it reminds me of shooting a 22 short with a heavy slug when I drop the hammer on it. It isn't the best in the accuracy department but I've only shot one brand of factory ammo in it, I think I will get dies and start loading for it.

The other thing I'd like to add is every time I handle the 1894 30WCF (30/30) my granddad gave me I always remember the stories he told me about all the big game and exotic game that rifle had killed, for a kid in Oregon Moose, Caribou, Mountain Goats and Grizzly bears were pretty exotic. Just handling that rifle is powerful medicine, memories of my childhood and my grandpa and the confidence that this experienced rifle gave me when toting it on Blacktailed Deer hunts.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Nice leverguns. I just picked up a Marlin 1894CL in .218 Bee this morning. Can't wait to put some rounds down range.

I have a Win 94 in .30-30 I got from a good friend no longer with us. It started out like your octagon 32 spl. He'd had it rebarreled win a Model 64 barrel. It's such a sweet shooter but dang, even though its only a .30-30, that crescent butt plate will get your attention after a while.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote