New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why not a BLR?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any pro or con view on the Browning BLR's?? I am considering one in .308--just because. Intend on it being a 200 yard and under deer rig. Maybe figure a way to put on a peep sight and thin front blade.....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original BLRs in .358 Win. and it is a real tack driver. One inch groups from factory ammo is the norm with this rifle.
I haven't played with one of their latest versions, but I imagine they should be a good shooter. I'd say, if you really want one, go for it.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of bulletcaster
posted Hide Post
Do it!
I have two, one in .308, the first model from '71, and one, Mod 81 with steel receiver, in .30-06, best lever-action rifles I ever had.
BTW I also own Marlins ( .444, .45-70 ), Winchester 94 ( .307 Win, .356 Win ), Winchester 88 ( . 308 ) and finally a Savage 99 ( .300 Sav ).

happy hunting!

Posts: 11 | Location: Perl/Germany | Registered: 28 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an original in 257 Roberts...excellent accuracy...love it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys, I think that seals it, 308 in the pipeline tomorrow!

Regards--Don

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Some folk will tell you that the earlier BLRs with the "nylon" gear for opening the bolt do not hold up well in cold weather.

My experience differs.

I bought a new one in 1973, in .308, when I lived in Saskatchewan. In 1976 I sold it to a Mountie named Jim Somers, as a gift from him for his dad. It is still doing duty in Saskatchewan, where .-35 below zero F winter weather is pretty common, and where 4' of snowfall in December is not too uncommon. That is pretty good service in cold weather, I think. It was also uncommonly accurate for ANY factory rifle.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have one as well in 308. Got mine in 1980, it's the old style with the protruding clip. I bought another one but a BLR81 about 1990 or so for my son. Steel receiver. The only problem with the 81 was the 47 pound trigger, and he couldn't hit a barn from the inside with it. Neither could I. The 81 is gone but i still have and use the old one.

as a friend of mine says, "Old is gold"

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1977 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of animal
posted Hide Post
They are made in Japan like my Toyota.
The glossy finish is not good for hunting.
The BLR has a really cruddy trigger.
They are light and accurracy is supposed to be good. I just picked up a 336 ss instead. Overall I regard the BLR as a great lever action with a few of the drawbacks I mentioned.

Be true to yourself

Posts: 20 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of "JB"
posted Hide Post
Brownings BLR in .358 Winchester

Not all Toyota's are made over there... the old GM plant in Femont Ca. produces the Toyota trucks sofa

I have wanted the .358 Winchester, so if I want it a Browning BLR will be it. Until then, my Marlin 336CS in .35 Remington will have to do Big Grin

"JB"

Posts: 31 | Location: NW Montana in grizzly country | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of animal
posted Hide Post
I'm going to the .35 caliber in the way of the new 750 Rem. semi auto carbine, ( 35 Whelen ) maybe. Your 358 should be sweet.

Be true to yourself

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by animal:
I'm going to the .35 caliber in the way of the new 750 Rem. semi auto carbine, ( 35 Whelen ) maybe. Your 358 should be sweet.

I don't know about that... I already have a Remington Auto in 30-06 and it is sometimes a bit particular about what it's fed, especially in avoiding propellants slower than IMR4350
And the fact that I have to use a Special Small Base sizing die (made for those reloading for the Browning BAR semi-auto's) for the brass if I want to bolt to close reliably...

I COULD open up the chamber to leiieve this problem, but the gun shoots Nosler 165BT's so well that I hate to mess with it.

I can deal with SSB sizing the brass, but I think if I was looking for a 35whelen carbine I'd take the pump, that eliminates gas port pressures from reloading considerations.

Besides Semi-autos aren't legal for hunting everywhere.. like where I live in Pennsylvania...

a couple of weeks ago I was at a gun show and one of the dealers had Several Stainless steel straight grip Marlins.
All had walnut stocks and at first glance I thought they were guide guns... one of them was, but the other was a Stainless steel straight grip in 35Rem.
I perfect hindsight I should have asked how much......

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I got the .308 BLR in today. Trigger doesn't seem heinous, but it ain't good--will try and figure out if I can get that improved--open for any tips.....
I also wonder if any of you have used a set of sights other than the factory, or a scope, I was thinking fixed power scope if I can't find a peep sight and blade combo that will work.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Don

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else think the levers look too small?

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish I have 2 a 243 and a 358,the 243 is the older version and the trigger is ok but the 358 is hard and I could cut my groups alot with a better trigger,can anyone tell me how to go about making the trigger liveable?Drop-Shot

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I have a .308 BLR of the older model. My trigger is fine and no problems at all.

Light and very acurate. Good handling, fast and hard hitting.

Best feature it does not have those outdated and stupid tubular magazines of many other LAs meaning a huge range of excellent bullets are available instead of mediocre choices.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been able to shoot 3 over the years. A .223, .308 and .358 win. All had great triggers and all shot m.o.a. with factory stuff from the bench. Considering the rounds that are availible for it and its' accuracy level, I would not say that this rilfe is 'just' a brush gun.

Cheers,

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a .284 for a while, it was accurate but so ugly I had to get rid of it.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
I've got one in .450 marlin. My new Leupold 1.5 x 5 x 20 VX-111 just came in today!!! Can't wait to mount it and shoot it. SHould be a good combo. Not really the biggest Leupold fan, but try finding a new low variable power scope, with a 20mm objective, in gloss finish. They just don't exist, except for Leupy. I actually think I would like the rifle better if it wasn't gloss, but it is.

quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
I had a .284 for a while, it was accurate but so ugly I had to get rid of it.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one of the first blr rifles in a 308.I liked its lightness.It was fairly accurate.I didnt like the hammer having to be lowered on a loaded chamber for deer stand hunting.It would be easy to slip your thumb .I hunted with it a little while but sold it later.It was very slick and smoothed actioned but the trigger was very mushy.I think with a better trigger it would have been more accurate.I would not mind a blr in 250 savage that would be a nice little rifle.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Just sighted in my .450 BLR. 1st group- .665" at 100 yards. I don't have to tell you I am MORE than pleased. 55.5 gr. H322, 350 gr Woodleigh RN. I just found my favorite rifle!!!!

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first centerfire rifle was a BLR 81 in 243 that I paid for myself at 13 yrs old. Although I have many rifles now ( my wife says to many, I say not enough...) My Blr will bever leave the safe, unless one of my boys wants it down the road...

Posts: 61 | Location: FT Carson CO | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new light-weight 81' in .358 win, i shot a spike buck with it this year, 200gr Hornady s.p. handloads. The rifle is light, accurate, quick to the shoulder, powerful, and just plain fun to shoot, i love it.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
A BLR in .308 is a whole lot more than a "200 yard and under deer rig". Here's a picture of some BLR work from last fall. This shot was 279 yards but I practice for longer shots:

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of animal
posted Hide Post
Nice picture. That looks like a pre gloss finish rifle.

Be true to yourself

one of us
posted Hide Post
My browning blr .358 Winchester is a pre-81 Japanease manufactured just like the picture above. It weighs 8 1/4 pounds with Weaver grand slam steel bases, and burris low z-rings, and a 2x7 older redfield scope, and 5 rounds loaded.

I have owned a total of six blr's and still have 3. A pre-81 308, the 358, and an 81 (steel rcvr) 7mm-08.

Never had a problem with any of them. I had a beat up Belgian pre-81 308, that I gave a friend of mine (for 10 years of free hunting). It is still killing feral hogs in South Texas last I heard.