New
Find
Notify
Tools

1895 Winchester?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Original, Browning or the newest tang safety version? How many out there and what caliber are you shooting?

Hate to carry mine because of the terrible balance bit love shooting it with that slim forarm and iron sights.

Just to add a little spice to the conversation anyone getting over 2200fps from their .405s?

I'm clocking 2350fps with 300g bullets out of mine Wink But it is a .375. I'm thinking a .375 is the rifle Teddy should have taken to Africa!

It sure pushes close to the original 375 HH ballistics from back in the day.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
RDB,

See comments after each of your topics:

quote]Original, Browning or the newest tang safety version? How many out there and what caliber are you shooting?
Miroku Winchester with Tang safety and I love a shotgun type safety on a rifle.

Hate to carry mine because of the terrible balance bit love shooting it with that slim forarm and iron sights.
Carries great and shoots better. Try putting a light weight sling on it for when you are just trekking.

Just to add a little spice to the conversation anyone getting over 2200fps from their .405s?
Yes, with multiple loads.

I'm clocking 2350fps with 300g bullets out of mine But it is a .375. I'm thinking a .375 is the rifle Teddy should have taken to Africa![/quote]

I know multiple folks getting over 2300 with 300 grain bullets, but I stopped at 2250 for reasons other than pressure.
There are also some folks shooting 330, 350 and 400 grain bullets in their .405, but that is another topic entirely.

PM me and I can show several links by very experienced 1895 .405 shooters and reloaders.
crs

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
RDB

I have the Winchester 405 and the Browning 30-06, Model 95.

I'm not thrilled with the size of the lever on the 405. I did find that wearing soft leather gloves keeps my middle finger from getting bashed during recoil.

I use both rifles with cast bullets exclusively using jacketed bullet powder charges.

I hate the buckhorn sights and replaced them with Redfield reciever sites.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester 100th Anniversary Edition version in 30-06 Springfield with 24" barrel, Miroku made in Japan. I already waited for more than 12 months for the 405 version and got tired of waiting for my first lever gun so I bought this:

Getting used to the tang safety was no great shakes as my O/U shotguns have it.

But unlike any other rifles I own where the safety actually blocks the trigger movement, this 1895 will drop the hammer with the safety engaged. Of course, the hammer block keeps it from firing.

I'd much prefer the receiver sights too, but I'm not about to drill this action.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personal preference, but if you can find a Browning Model 1895 that is the one I would go with for I don't care for the tang safety and trigger set up on the newest offerings by Winchester. There are still some Browning's floating around NIB at about the same price as the tang safety versions of Winchester.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have 2 in 30-06 and a 30-40. Mine are all winchesters with the tang safety.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a new 1895 Take Down in 405 WCF.

I like it a lot. It shoots very accurate with Hornady factory and my reloads.

I like it best of any Lever rifle I have shot.

I used to think the 1886 Winchester was the best lever rifle, but now for me it is the 1895 in 405.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have one of the older Browning's rebarreled to .35 Whelen and restocked with a beautiful piece of walnut in a style similar to Teddy Roosevelt's .405 1895.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3839 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That one is beautiful dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That one is beautiful

+1 tu2

Dern!! Makes me want one now.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, just had to add my Browning in 375 Scovill Smiler

Boomer, your rifle is just stunning. Can you tell us who did the metal and stock work? I was torn when I did mine...338/06, 35 Whelen or the 375 Scoville. The 400 Scovill/ Whelen was a thought as well. Back then the .405 was just a dream and not a realistic conversion because of the lack of brass and bullets. My how things have changed in 15 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
RDB

In my 1895, 405 Win, I get the following velocities;

Hornady factory FP, 2265fps.

Hornady 300gr FP with 55 gr of IMR 3031, 2225fps.

North Fork 300gr SP 54.5gr of IMR 3031, 2250fps.

All the above loads hit the same place at 100 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Origional Winchester in 35 Winchester, and a converted Browining in 38-72Win.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could not make myself get a tang safety on a lever action. I got the Browning.

MSNBC is currently airing a show on the Remington 700. Even its designer admits the safety only works correctly on 99% of guns. That means 50,000 of them are unsafe. According to the show, gun companies cannot be sued in the US for making unsafe products.

In light of that, can anybody tell us if they've had or heard of an unsafe discharge on a hammer-only (no "safety") lever gun? I'd really like to know if levers have caused unsafe discharges in the field as opposed to imagined ones between the ears of some attorney.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been some 150 years now that lever guns have been sold to the public and most of that time there was no other primary safety other than the half cock hammer feature. Could not have been all that bad or there would be a lot of nasty stories regarding the unsafe lever guns. Glad you found a Browning lever gun.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HI.

I had my browning 3006 change into a 9.3x62 by z-hat customs. They did a great job shot a few deer with it,Kev

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Anyone know where to get a higher front sight blade.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bunch of purty rifles on this thread. Mine's not so purty but it shoots good. It is a 30 US.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc
Nothing pertier than a well used lever action.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote