Tools

400 grain .458 Swift flat nose
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I found this bullet at Midway. Here is the link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...-flat-nose-box-of-50

It has two cannelures. I am wondering if it would work in the 45-70/450 Marlin. Anyone know?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Thanks for the heads up. I think I will try these in my .450 Marlin seated out since I had the magazine modified.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one review on Midway mentions successful use on 3 lions and a cape buffalo using it in 458 Win and 458 Lott.
I wish Swift would mention what velocity range it's designed for.
I use the similar design Nosler Partition 300 gr Winchester load for deer which works very well.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dave

The 400 Swift is a great bullet, but it's a little "hard" at 45/70 velocity. Meaning that while it will expand at that velocity, it's not a lot of expansion. I used it on 3 lions back in 2000 in 458 Winchester at 2325 fps, lions were shot between 15 yds and 35 yds, and it hammered them. I have shot zebra from the same rifle at 175 yards, and of course velocity had dropped quite a bit at that range. Good bullet, I just think it needs a bit of velocity to work better. If looking for a conventional bullet, I like the flat nose woodleigh better. I hope to test your Speer tomorrow. It is probably much better as well if I was taking bets!

Mete, I think you are talking about me!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.swiftbullets.com/a-...liber-350-grain.html

Swift has this new 350 gr, 458 designed for the 45-70. That should make you happy !

Michael, 15-35 yds ,and you said 'I thought I saw a pussy cat !'

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
http://www.swiftbullets.com/a-...liber-350-grain.html

Swift has this new 350 gr, 458 designed for the 45-70. That should make you happy !

Michael, 15-35 yds ,and you said 'I thought I saw a pussy cat !'

Mete

That is correct, they do have a 350 Swift. I forgot about those, would be much better in 450 Marlin or 45/70. In fact, I have some, or had some, and have tested them. Very good bullet.

Of course North Fork has a good 350 as well, just as good, if not better. So tied up on other things I had forgot both of those.

Yep I did see the "Puddy Cats" They saw me too! They could see me better, than I could see them, but the 400 Swifts sorted them out! HEH.........

M

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
There is something screwy here. I called Swift to ask them if these bullets would work in a 450 Marlin and was told "we do not make a bullet with a double cannelure."

I know they make a 350 but I want a 400 grain bullet because that's what I shoot in my 450 Marlin and I want something that shoots to the same POI.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Dave

I have some of those if you want, and yes, they have two cannelures. They did this sometime after 2001 or 2002 I think. I ran out of 400 Swifts, no one could get any. It was quite a while before another run was made, when they did again, it had the two cannelures. Let me know, I can send a box, or a few for you to try, whatever.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer Michael but I am just going to stick with the Speers for the range and if I need a 400 grain soft, the Woodleighs work great. I ordered a box of CEB 400 grain #13s and I have some Barnes Busters so really, I am all set.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded a few in 458 win. In the 45-70, even crimped to the front cannelure, I think the cartridge will still be too long to cycle through a standard Marlin. I could make some measurements tonight.

My swift manual has loads for 45-70 with this bullet, I'll check that too.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Thanks dean.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best bullet I ever used in my 45-90 was the 350 gr. RN Hornady, it expanded well and I got penetration. My son and I shot a few Nilgai with that bullet and really liked it. I tried it in a 458 Win and it was too soft at that velocity IMO....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didnt get around to it until now. I have some 400 gr Swifts with the two cannelures. Seating into a 45-70 case to crimp at the most forward cannulure gives a COL of about 2.7 inches, probably wont work in a standard issue Marlin.

The Swift number one manual lists loads for the 45-70 with the 400g flat nose. The have a diagram of a bullet with just one cannelure and a cuttaway diagram of a loaded cartridge crimped at the cannelure with a COL of 2.55. The loads are all under 1700 fps.

I'm confused too. Maybe they switched bullet designs somewhere along the line? Maybe a call to Swift would sort things out.

Or just stick with the speers, or maybe give the newer Woodliegh 405s a try.