THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Lever action for European driven boar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lever action for European driven boar
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted
Hi can somebody advise

I am set on ordering a custom lever gun for driven boar the gunsmith is in Alaska and I live in London

Does or have somebody successfully modified a marlin 1894 so it feeds european abridges like 9.3x62 ?

If this is technically impossible or very expensive then I will consider the usual 45-70, 444 or 450 marlin offering or even a 50 Alaskan

Most game range is 50-150 yards

If I get MOA I will very pleased.

Any input is much appreciated

I want cut tube to 18.5 inch with break and in a takedown

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mention the Marlin 94, but that action is used for such rounds as the 44Mag., 357Mag., etc. or short pistol rounds if you will. If you insist on the 9.3x62 cartridge, the Win/Browning Model 95 being box magazine design has and can be altered/rebarreled to that round and simply cut barrel to desired length. The Browning reproduction 95 is a very high quality firearm and would serve your purposes well I believe. Doug Turnbull can equip the rifle with excellent mount for Burris Firesight which is very quick on target and yet not big and bulky on the rifle. (You can see on Turnbull's web site.)
Scarcity of ammunition may prevent you from my personal selection in a levergun for your type of game and that would be the Browning Mod. 71 Carbine version. It is 348Win caliber(only chamber ever offered in the 71) and it is definitely up to the task you are trying to do both range and power wise. Equipped with the sight I mention above, would make an outstanding hunting rifle. There is something about the 71 that makes it so balanced and quick on target and is superbly designed for flawless function. You could say I am a big fan of the 71. Goodluck and good hunting.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
+1 for the 348 - It will do all you ask and so will the 45-70, 444, 30-30 etc.

The M.71, 1886, 1895 and 94's are the perfect rig for driven boar.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a marlin guide gun in 45-70.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A factory lever that would do a job on boar is the BLR in .358 Win. If you wand something in 9.3X62, I'm sure a long action BLR could be re-barreled to that cartridge - after-all, I once heard of one being re-barreled to .358 Norma.

Hunting is Exciting! Bolt Actions are BORING!
Don't Mix the Two!

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin .444 it is all the rifle you will need for driven boar hunting easy to shoot with and 5 round tube+1.And also a handy woodland stalking rifle Mine has a Leupould vx-r 1.25-4x20 scope fitted ready for this years hunt.If you reload you can use 200-240 gr lead down loads for indoor club range practice as well.

Posts: 37 | Location: Cumbria, England | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450 Marlin, 45-70.

The 45-70 should be very easy to find...

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
I have both. The .45-70 in a Browning M86 and one of the first guide guns here in Germany in .450Marlin. The .45-70 is "my" round. I have three rifles for this "oldtimer". Ammo and brass is easy to get, same with loading datas. The .450Marlin is a CIP-conform update. With CIP maximum pressure of 2200bar for the .45-70 you can get an max. Eo about ~4000Joule. The .450Marlin have 3000bar CIP max. chamber pressure. So you can get from an 50cm barrel nearly 5000Joule. The .444Marlin is OK, but only with "good" hunting bullets. With the .458" bullets, you have the bigger selection. For both rounds, the .45-70 and the .450Marlin, I mean the best weight is between 300grs and 350grs.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Win. 94 will not accept the 9.3x62 as the 9.3 is too long, not rimmed, and too much pressure for the 94...

Your best bet is to find a 94 in 375 Win. but IMO the 30-30 will kill any boar on this earth with ease..I have killed deer, feral hogs up to near 300 lbs., 800 lb. bull elk with the 30-30 and didn't have any trouble at all in doing so.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Ray said except that I slightly prefer the Marlin 336 in 30/30

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray has some sound knowledge here,

however for most part in Europe, 30-30 out of a carbine lenght barrel will not make legal limits for wild boar,

in general 140 grains @850 m/s or 160 @ 800 are the energy levels that are legal limit, it does vary a lot though.

To answer in part the question of possible round to fit in the 94/ or other lever action;

7,62x54R, 9,3x53R (same case, different cal)

/Chris

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
A long action BLR comes in several cartridges that will do as well or better than the 9.3x62, 7RM, 300 WM, 30-06, 270, 450 M, 325 WSM, 358 Win, etc. for your application. Why spend so much for a custom "across the pond" aquisition?

WWG takedown offerings are extremely very desirable and I would have a 50 Alaskan in a hot second once I hit the Lotto. Big Grin shocker lol

Don't you have good gunsmiths in England or are leverguns not available there?

I see these questions on other forums and always wondered what the problems were.

Luck

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Husqvarna M98:
Ray has some sound knowledge here,

however for most part in Europe, 30-30 out of a carbine lenght barrel will not make legal limits for wild boar,

in general 140 grains @850 m/s or 160 @ 800 are the energy levels that are legal limit, it does vary a lot though.

To answer in part the question of possible round to fit in the 94/ or other lever action;

7,62x54R, 9,3x53R (same case, different cal)

/Chris

We have had the a discussion about the .30-30 in a German forum. The only factory ammo over the legal limit of 1475ftlb @100m is the leverevo FTX. You´re also over this limit with reloading spitzer bullets, but this is only "practicable", to use in single shot rifles.
The only rifles I mean, to rechamber to rounds like the 9,3x62 is the BLR or the Browning/Winchester M1895.

quote:
Don't you have good gunsmiths in England or are leverguns not available there?

I see these questions on other forums and always wondered what the problems were.

You forget, we´re living in Europe. Many countries here have difficult restrictions. Here in Germany every gun must be registrated. And if you don´t have a hunting licens, like a target shooters, you need for nearly every gun a permit to buy. In other counties it´s similare. Europe, in a few years renamed to EUdSSR, isn´t the heaven on earth for gun owners.
The next is, many people are meaning, lever guns are only a toy for big boys. Cowboy guns! The lever action rifle is mostly used for CAS. I mean, not more as 5% of the German hunters are using lever guns.
And "yes", the .50Alaskan would be "the" hitter. But here´s the next Problem. The .50Alaskan isn´t CIP approved. So it´s very difficult to get the proof marks you need, for the legal use of a rifle, chambered for a "Wildcat" It´s possible, but you need a long breath.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I don't have a clue what is going on over there as far as guns are concerned...it's hard enough just figuring out what I can do in my state...forget about the rest.

It would seem to me to determin WHAT calibers are allowed for WHAT country, then WHAT type of action can be used, then WHAT cartridge that action can handle. If everything lines up then go for it...otherwise it's just whizzing into the wind.

You're going to run into gunsmithing problems with the Aluminum framed BLR as far as rebarreling in concerned for a lot of reasons.

The question and arguments seem almost moot except for esoteric ends from what I'm seeing, especially if non-CIP approved cartridges are not allowed...but if that's what floats you boat, then go for it. I won't ever hunt Europe for certain.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 and don't look back.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 for the .348 win, a 200gr projectile traveling at 2500fps or if you reload try the 220gr and 250gr bullets. find one with a receiver sight and don't look back....
Good Luck

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A new issue of the Winchester 95 in 405 caliber.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote