THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Marlin 1895G 45/70 with XS Sights “peep sightâ€
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1895G 45/70 with XS Sights “peep sightâ€
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted
I have finally found a gun store that managed to import and supply an XS Sights set with “peep sight†and front post, and also a mount for a future “scout scopeâ€!
I hastily proceeded with the installation of the devices, bore-sighted the gun and down I went to the range!
After a few small adjustments, and 5 shots later, I was getting 1.5†groups at 50 meters! Considering I have never used a “peep sight†(or a lever action for that matter!) I believe this is not too bad!

When using a “peep sightâ€, and if you are an average shooter, how tight can you expect your groups to become (after some practice)?

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
B.Martin
For load testing and 100 yard target shooting, I keep the small aperture in the Williams Foolproof reciever site. When I held my mouth just right I could get 1.5 to 2. inch groups, off the bench, at 100 yards, with the small aperture.
The Whitetail here in Virginia are taken at less then 100 yards, on the average. A shoulder shot with a 400 grain cast lead slug, the deer won't care if I'm not real precise. During hunting season I'd unscrew the small aperture, for faster target acquistion and to allow more light through the sight.
My 45-70 hunting rifle is a Siamese Mauser, a rather odd bolt gun.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The newer XS Ghost Ring sights are threaded to accept different aperature peeps and current sights are supplied with .23" and .191" inside diameter aperatures. I believe you can get even smaller aperatures for long range work; large aperatures work well for close work and snap shooting.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got my 1895CB in today and after looking at the current sights I am unsure how the XS Sights I ordered on Monday are going to fit. The description on the Midway and XS sight says they fit the existing screwholes, but I don't see any screw holes on my Marlin where the sights currently are.

Wes

----
Towards danger; but not too rashly, nor too straight

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The XS Systems Ghost Ring sights are not intended for the 1895CB. The rear sight goes into the rearmost scope mount holes. The Marble carbine front sight of the 1895CB is different than the ramp front sight on the 1895G the XS Systems front sight replaces. You will have to find a different front sight solution.

The ghost ring sights are a poor choice for the long barreled 1895CB.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is bad news. I wish they would have made it more clear in their documentation. It says it is for Model 444s and 1895s. I made the bad assumption I guess thinking it was for all 1895s. Not sure what I will do now.

----

one of us
posted Hide Post
B.Martins...
Back to your question: yes, 1.5" groups at 50 yards makes for a good start. Once you get more accustomed to your new hardware you will find the groups shrinking a bit. But you don't have far to go: 1" groups at that distance with a lever are considered good.

Glad that it is all coming together for you.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B.M old saying practice makes perfect Wink(Jeez I must still have a lot of practice in front of me yet nut)I have always found the large apitures came into their own on large game (Camel, Buff,donkey & sambar deer)esp in low light & thick scrub

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your contribution!
Until now I have had all my rifles scoped (including the DG rifles!), and thus I am not at ease with iron sights!
I will keep on practicing with the lever action and see how far I can get in tightening those groups!

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend gets 1.5" groups @ 100 yds with his 1895 with ghost ring with factory 300s.Ghost rings are not only fast but accurate too!!

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
WesN,

Call XS directly, they will give you the real scoop. They make a whiteline front sight that will fit the dovetail on your CB.

I use an XS rear with the original front and have no problem. I am however only shooting 405's at fairly low velocity mostly in Silhouette matches. I'm using 14.8 grains of Unique. Haven't chronoed it.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
z1r I called them early today actually and Monty is shipping me a front sight for my CB and I am shipping the other one back. I was wondering if I could use my original front sight since it is so tall, but I have a hard time seeing that dang bead anyway. I will sight it in on Sunday and see how it does. I am shooting 52.5 grains of IMR 3031 behind a 400gr Speer Flat nose.

Thanks for the info though
Wes

----

one of us
posted Hide Post
z1r,

Do you use any kind of filler with that 14.8gr of Unique in the 45-70? What kind of velocity does that give you. I've got a bunch of cheap bevel-based 405gr FN slugs I'd like to burn up in my Guide Gun, perhaps this will be a fun load. Is barrel leading much of a problem with that load?

b.martins,

Aperture ("Peep") sights can be amazingly accurate, especially if you get a smaller aperture for long range precision work. I use the XS sights with the .150" aperture on my Guide Gun and like it for general purpose work. The XS sights are very rugged and they're great for snap shots.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
The newer XS Ghost Ring sights are threaded to accept different aperature peeps and current sights are supplied with .23" and .191" inside diameter aperatures.

Unfortunately the set I got must be the old one! No threads!
And even with the .191 “peep†aiming at a 100 yards target is not easy!

B.Martins

posted Hide Post
b. martins,
From Brownells there is available a .150 post for the XS system. In addition there is avaiable a threaded post to accept smaller aperture "rings". With my XS site I had to order the extended shank set in order to get enough threads to engage the sight.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
You know, I ordered one of the threaded rings so I could use various apertures and I find that the plain old ghost ring is just as accurate if not more. In fact, the larger the apperture the easier, I feel, it is to ignore the rear sight. With smaller appertures i feel you tend to try and focus on the rear rather than letting your eye naturally center itself.

458Ruger,

No, I don't use any filler and the load does not seem position sensitive. My buddy has fired tens of thousands of these loads through his Ruger No.1. His load is really 15.0 grains.

I happen to be using a GC bullet but I estimate the velocities at betwen 1250 and 1300 fps. I don't get any leading and I doubt you will either even with plain bases. FWIW, the 405 plain bases I had gave poor accuracy so I switched to the CG which I had a ton of.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
z1r .I agree with you 100% on using the large apeture.I to find the smaller the app the longer it takes me to aim as I'm spending to much time focsing on the rear sight

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote