Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin 1895 - 45-70 Recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted
How stout is the Hornady 350? My brother cuts meat for a living in Nome Alaska, thus, he see's all of the Moose that are harvested in town, that's quite a few. This year he butchered a Moose that was shot with factory Remington 405's. He had both of the bullets and to say he was impressed would be and understatement. He said those bullets literally destroyed the shoulder. He wants a guide gun for when he is fishing, but I told him those Remington 405's wouldn't provide the penetration, or knock down he needs for Bears. I don't want to load cast bullets for him, so whats the best option?

I'm thinking the Woodleigh 405's at about 1800 fps. I don't know if that's doable with the Guide guns 18 1/2" barrel though.

one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
Quote:

So what is the recoil like on the Marlin 45-70's. What would you compare it too. I am talking about factory 300 grainers at around 1800 fps. Does it have the bite like a belted mag or is it more of a push. I am used to small & middle bore centerfires, what would you compare it too?

I have a Guide Gun and I would say that most of the factory loads feel about the same as a SxS or U/O 12 bore shotgun to me. i.e. You definitely know it has gone off but unless you're doing somethig silly it aint going to hurt you.
Handloads are a diffrent kettle of fish though, you can really make that old war horse bark! Once things start going above 2000fps or so remember to hang onto your false teeth. 300grn projs at over 2200fps really give you a good thump when the hammer drops. I wouldn't like to be shooting them from a bench or car window that's for sure. When standing up though the rifle will lift to about 30 degrees and it will push you back onto your rear leg. Ya just got to roll with the punches and then it's quite managable.
I've had that front sling swivel hit me a couple of times so I tend to be very aware of where my front hand is placed when firing the big ones.
Cheers

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did see that Buffalo Bore is loading a new 44 Mag +P round. 340 grain LBT LFN GC 1478 fps ME 1649 !!!!

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
20 years ago i had a ruger number one that i shot 400 grainers at 1900 fps and thoughtit was great.. today i took a magnum past recoil pad under my coat to fire my sharps 11 pound gun at 1200 fps and same 400 grain bullets.. so there are ways to get around recoil, if your after deer all that powere surely isnt nessesary, if there are brown bear in your camp that is another matter.. so only you know the answer to the question.. for truly dangerous game go to 500 grain bullets, for deer go to 35 remington, its got a flat shooting bullet good to 150 yards,something the 45 70 will not be able to aim strait at target without quite a bit of tremendous recoil.. a small gun with big recoil also is not as good a shooter (not becouse of the gun) when used off hand or kneeling in the field and the more power will not help a bad shot..my opinion only.. practice, knowledge, hard work will overcome alot of negatives.. good luck dave

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My old load of 100gr FFg Goex black powder, with a 240gr saboted bullet was suppose to be getting 1640 fps; out of my muzzle loader. It killed deer plenty dead! (lots of them) I'd be happy with 1500-1600 fps, with having a follow up shot opportunity that you don't get with a smoke pole.

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, how are you?

I had a 45-70 that I shot some Buffalo Bore rounds through that just about killed me! I've never shot anything that kicked so hard in my life! The mounts even sheared off on the back. I might have installed them incorrectly, but never the less, the recoil was awesome...

The factory loads with 300 grain Noslers were much nicer. If I was reloading for the 45-70, I would work up 2 loads using the 300gr Nosler, and the 405gr Woodleigh. The Nosler would be for deer and the 405's for big stuff. My brother lives in Alaska, and he wants one of the Guide guns, so I suspect that soon I'll be loading some of these 405's for him. He can shoot the 405's off of the bench though...

one of us
posted Hide Post
1760 fps is certainly obtainable from a 20" barreled .44 Magnum rifle using 240g bullets. It can be done with Vitha Vouri N110, Accurate #9, Hodgdon H110, Winchester 296, and perhaps a couple of others.

Hodgdon shows 1817 fps with a 240g Nosler JHP at 36,200 CUP using a max charge of H110.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anybody tried Hogdon Benchmark in their 45/70?Ihave 4198 &3031 on my bench but the Hogdon has been so consistant on paper 1 dead deer also that I sorta got stuck on it.Flows like water out of the measure and fills the case up.I've been using 300gr. bullets.The burn rate chart says it'a tad slower than 3031. Comments please.

Posts: 32 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
chuckwagon,
do the cast bullets run a little slower? I have always had good luck with the 240gr JHP bullets (hornady). But I usually only take full profile lung shots. Just out of bow hunting habit

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My head heels if I get a scope wack.My shoulder heels from a bruise.I've never fully heeled from a single wounded deer,and none of them have even been mine.Moral of the story,let em rip,theres no such thing as to dead.When I pull the trigger only one of us gets back up.