Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Showing My Ignorance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

We certainly agree that any author is not the definative "know all". Mr.Barnes stoc goes down considerably in my view if he changed his tune like that. In either event I personaly would only thing the 30-30 superior for the CAS. Other than that I think your splitting a mighty fine hair. It is funny how some think so highly of one and not the other.

Actually, the .32 WS would be better for CAS as the 1 in 16" twist would be better for cast bullets than the 30-30, and the 30-30 takes to cast like a duck to water. I have one 30-30 that shoots 1.5" at 100 yards with cast. My friend has the .32 WS and he out shoots my 30-30 every time we compete. When we switch rifles, I can beat him using his rifle. I do think that this is one area that the .32WS has it all over the 30-30. Now if I can find one of my own with a good bore, I'll try and see it this holds true.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering exactly when the .32 WS was introduced. I've heard it was as late as 1912. Dave Scovill, in RIFLE Magazine's book, THE LEGACY OF LEVER GUNS says 1902, but also says that it wasn't mentioned in a Winchester catalog until 1905, of which he apparently has a copy, or at least access to one.
Let me quote what he took from that catalog.
"SPeculation aside, we know from the 1905 Winchester catalog that, THE .32 WINCHESTER SPECIAL WAS DESIGNED TO BE LOADED BY THE FACTORY WITH SMOKELESS POWDER AND TO BE RELOADED WITH BLACK POWDER."
I guess that pretty well places it as coming straight from the horse's mouth. (I'd forgotten about that cource until just now.)
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing is that for the purist the 30-30 can be loaded with Goex or BP and cast bullets to be historicly accurate. Not so with the 32 WS. On a more practical level you gotta go with what works for you. I sold a 1950's 32WS carbine with a mint bore in 95+% this year for $400 so there are still lots of good ones out there.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote