THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Longer, heavier bullets in 50-110/50 Express?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longer, heavier bullets in 50-110/50 Express?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The 50-110/50 Express uses a 2.4-inch case on a maximum cartridge length of 2.88 inches (more realistically 2.75 inches). When converting a rifle, you can specify a rate of twist compatible with longer bullets Longer, heavier cast bullets, unless they are WFNs, will have a nose length from the crimp groove exceeding .48 inch. .

How do you load longer, heavier cast bullets? Or do you acquire cast bullet molds without a crimp groove?

Apparently, the 475 Turnbull, 450 Alaskan, and 348 WCF take advantage of the M1886/M71's available cartridge length by using a shorter case to allow room for longer bullet noses.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is really an easy answer. Figure the COAL and depending on hte bullet meplat. IF the wide like a cast performance, use 2.700" Figure out how far the crimp groove needs to be and than shorten the case as needed to get the CAOL. The larger case capacity of the 50=110 case and smokeless powder you can do all that you might want. I have loaded the 675gr bullet from Buffalo Arms inthe 50 alaskan case with 40 gr 3031 for a velocity of 1200fps. Shoots through about anything and use it in Thumper a 16" barreled 86. If I used a case that was .100 longer it would work great in a 22" gun.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Turnbull:
That is really an easy answer. Figure the COAL and depending on hte bullet meplat. IF the wide like a cast performance, use 2.700" Figure out how far the crimp groove needs to be and than shorten the case as needed to get the CAOL. The larger case capacity of the 50=110 case and smokeless powder you can do all that you might want. I have loaded the 675gr bullet from Buffalo Arms inthe 50 alaskan case with 40 gr 3031 for a velocity of 1200fps. Shoots through about anything and use it in Thumper a 16" barreled 86. If I used a case that was .100 longer it would work great in a 22" gun.

hijack DougTurnbull, this is similar to the question in a recent post of mine. Do you think it would be safe for me to load the .510" 570 gr. Barnes Banded Solid in a Marlin .50 Alaskan using this method of shortening the case to the proper length as to allow for proper crimping while retaining the proper cartridge oal?

Thanks, and apologies for the interruption. Big Grin

Posts: 338 | Location: montana | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the nose of the bullet is about .340" across I do not see any problems.

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Turnbull:
If the nose of the bullet is about .340" across I do not see any problems.

Do you mean a .340" meplat? I thought .300" was plenty to insure safety.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I said .340" meplat but yes .300" will sufice for it too. Do what you want for the meplat. Some might want it wider too.

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Ok so what happens to accuracy when using these heavy bullets ? I have a 1in24" Green mountain barrel on my rem/rol/blk 50/110 , What would you use for extreme accuracy to start with ? Thanks !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
When I want extreme accuracy, I just give my rifle to someone that can really shoot!!!!! animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Concho42:
Ok so what happens to accuracy when using these heavy bullets ? I have a 1in24" Green mountain barrel on my rem/rol/blk 50/110 , What would you use for extreme accuracy to start with ? Thanks !
Greenhill's Formula is a convenient, accurate method of calculating minimum acceptable rate of twist for given bullet length and OD. Rudimentary algebra allows you to solve for any variable in the equation.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
I have Greenhill formula , was hoping for some practile experience for this caliber .I use 215 fed primers , Hodgton 3F trip 7 , I used a Manson Reamer for lead bullets to chamber this barrel , GM 1/24 twist .

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Concho42:
I have Greenhill formula , was hoping for some practile experience for this caliber .I use 215 fed primers , Hodgton 3F trip 7 , I used a Manson Reamer for lead bullets to chamber this barrel , GM 1/24 twist .
Practical experience is what Greenhill's Formula is. Test results for artillery projectiles were plotted. Then a calculation was created to emulate the result of plotting. While it is probable that modern, high velocity smokeless powder barrel makers use a more sophisticated formula to calculate rate of twist for their barrel making, 50-110 and the like work effectively with Greenhill's.

Measure the bullet's length and calculate whether twist works. Or calculate how long a bullet can be used with the rate of twist in your barrel. The only place you need to be careful is when the rate of twist is so steep/rapid that the bullet becomes over stabilized. For our thread, though, this is not going to occur.