New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLR .308 to .284 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I love lever guns ! have 3 steel sided blrs. Don't have mush use for one that is a little beat up but wonderfully accurate. was thinking of converting it to .284 with a 22" bbl. who could do this work ? I don't want to spend a fortune on it.
I used to have nothing but 88 winchesters, they were available and reasonable. So like a fool I sold or traded them for something I thought I wanted only to regret it. I would trade my a-bolt medallion for one and give boot if necessary !

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you start, I'd locate some .284 magazines. They were distinct and did not interchange with any other. The 308 mags will be difficult to impossible to convert. Next will be finding a gunsmith to do the barrel work. Far easier would be to convert to 7mm-08. Results should be close enough.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sell the beater and find a 284. it may take a while but they do show up............
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackhawk44 is right about the magazines. Just for general info if you do re-barrel to .284 Win. I've purchased two .284 mags over at Gunbroker in the last year or so, this Parker Gun Shop seems to have a small cache of them. Just type in .284 on the main search page and scroll down, there's not very many items under .284, easy to find.

Posts: 117 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote