Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Showing My Ignorance
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
Well, Frank has been dead for 12 years, so I think it's gonna be hard to get a revised opinion from him, at this point.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ChuckWagon:
Let me add to my last post.

I would imagine that Barnes simply was commenting humorously (in the quote I gave) that the dual capacity of the Win.32 Special as both a black powder and a smokeless powder cartridge didn't seem worthwhile in light of the developing smokeless powder cartridges, i.e., the 30-30 - particularly since the 30-30 was very early on making a name for itself

I hasten to say that I have no fixed views about the Win. 32 Special. I meant no insult and only offered the comment as what I thought was a humorous observation. I don't think he meant that the cartridge was no good. He was saying ,I believe, that the 30-30 was a better replacement and that the only advantage of the Win.32 Special was that it could be reloaded as a black powder cartridge - hence the humorous remark.

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30-30 vs the 32 Special debate has gone on (and will continue) for a long time. In the real world the only difference between the two is .013".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes wrote regarding the 32 Special, "It's a lot better than the 30-30 only if you don't think smokeless powder is really here to stay". This is in both the 3rd and 4th editions. He also wrote (also in eds 3 & 4) "Once the bore of a 32 Spl rifle begins to go, you can't hit a flock of barns with it". That is a crock of shit, and I know that from personal experience and I have a Model 94 made in 1913 to prove it. Frank Barnes was not the last word on everything. Matter of fact, sounds to me like he later changed his tune regarding the accuracy of 32 Spl's with bad bores.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos45:

Please forgive MY ignorance. I understand why a collector would pay whatever he wishes to pay for a GENUINE,ALL ORIGINAL PARTS, Winchester Mod.92 (Personally, it's lost on me and at 74 I can tell you I saw many genuine Win. Mod.92s when I was a boy) But paying over a thousand dollars for a Japanese made reproduction?) Frankly, I enjoyed being called a "gun nut" for most of my life -but I'm beginning to wonder now if it wasn't an actual description of mental status.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For a using gun the Marlin 1894 makes a lot more sense. About half the price and is probably better finished and made in the USA to boot.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

For a using gun the Marlin 1894 makes a lot more sense. About half the price and is probably better finished and made in the USA to boot.

Better finished??? Highly doubtful.

Miroku makes all the Japanese Brownings and Winchesters. As much as I hate to say it, there probably is no better factory finish available in the world than Miroku's. Pick one up and see for yourself.

Now, if they would only make me one without "MADE IN JAPAN" on it.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Pecos45:

Please forgive MY ignorance. I understand why a collector would pay whatever he wishes to pay for a GENUINE,ALL ORIGINAL PARTS, Winchester Mod.92 (Personally, it's lost on me and at 74 I can tell you I saw many genuine Win. Mod.92s when I was a boy) But paying over a thousand dollars for a Japanese made reproduction?) Frankly, I enjoyed being called a "gun nut" for most of my life -but I'm beginning to wonder now if it wasn't an actual description of mental status.

Probably based on the cowboy shooting mania. When I considered trying it, I bought a pair of genuine Colt single actions, but had to settle for a Winchester 94 in .45 LC to with them. By the time I got those, plus the shotgun, money was running out and I wasn't about to pay the price for the "authentic" style clothes. Also, by that time, the rule benders were using loads so light they wouldn't even bruise an undernourished flea, so I said to hell with it. Sold the coach gun, kept the Colt's and the 94 as it was a neat fun gun.
It's like Winchester's limited run of the 1895 Win. in .405. If someone is dumb enough to pay the freight, then I go along with what old P.T. Barnum said. "There's a sucker born every minute, and two to take him."
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul:

In your case, your choices make sense. (I wish now I had kept a few of the 1871s (SA) that passed through my hands when young!) The Win.94 in 45 Long Colt is shooting a decent cartridge still available. The Win.92 was chambered for what? Cartridges like the 38/40, 32/20 ? If memory serves, the chambering for 44/40 was a black powder load and I sure wouldn't trust a smokeless load in those old timers. As you rightly point out, it may be a matter of cowboy mania. The whole thing reminds me of something that Fred Barnes wrote in an edition of "Cartridges of the World". He was commenting on the relative usefulness of the Win. 32 Special. (I never forgot the remark because I laughed out loud) He wrote: "The Win. 32 Special is a fine cartridge for those who don't think that smokeless powder is here to stay".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerald. Even the original 1892 Winchesters were strong enough for smokeless powder loads, but the brass for the 38-40 and 44-40 was a bit on the thin, AKA weak side and still is, IMO. An 1892 built with modern steel should be capable of handling just about any round that will fit and work through the action. I believe it's Rossi that is making a "92" replica in .454 Casull.
Paul B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WHOOOOAAA there friend that was good for a laugh but it is a bit of fiction. Firstly Frank Barnes is the Author of "Cartridges of the world". I am going to take some liberties and publish his exact words. I hope he won't take exception but I just hate seeing such a fine caliber and author smeared with such non sense. There has been a lot of rubbish printed about the 32 Special and Mr.Barnes elaborates on that in his book with the following:
" There has been a mountain of bunk written about the 32 Special answearing the demand of handloaders who wanted to use blackpowder. Since the same rifle was origionally chambered for 32-40 at about one-half the price of the nickel steel 32 Special version, this seems fantastic. Those writers would have us believe that the man wanting to save money on ammunition would for no reason spend the price of two rifles for the privilege. The fact that blackpowder can be used successfully in the 32 Special, and the fact that Winchester once provided a blackpowder rear sight for the rifle certainly do not prove that the cartridge was invented to allow folks to do what they could already do with the much cheaper 32-40 Model 94. Much ink has been spilled claiming the 32 Special just wouldn't shoot straight after the barrel got a bit of wear. I have experimented with two 32 Special carbines, a very early Winchester and a 1936 Marlin. With bullets that fit, both shoot inside 3 inches at 100 yards with open sights. The Winchester had been so abused that is rifeling hardly showed until we thoroughly cleaned it. The bore is pitted but it shoots just fine."
As you can see Mr. Barnes not only did not publish such inflamitory remarks about the the venerable 32 Special he is indeed claiming it to be a fine caliber.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see that I missed your humor. My apolagies. There is a lot of rubbish out there about the 32 Special in regards to blackpowder. I still have to dissagree with you as I find no such comments by Mr.Barnes. In the edetion I have he clearly states that the 32 special has the edge over the 30-30, indicating that if it is loaded to equal pressure it easily beats the 30-30 by 100 fps. The 32 also offers a higher ballistic coefficient. I simply can not find any thing written by Mr.Barnes in my library to support your hypothesis. Perhaps over time you have mistaken him with another author or perhaps it was published in a different article or book. The 30-30 can be loaded as a blackpowder round that would be historicly accurate. There was never a factory 32 Special Blackpowder round. The 30-30 on the other hand was introduced in 1895 as a black powder cartridge.The 30-30 may be a superior cartridge in your view but it is not one shared or supported by Mr. Barnes in Cartridges of the world. In point of fact I simply can not imagine any scenario that the 30-30 would be ballisticly superior to the 32 Special in nitro loads. IMO the 30-30 would indeed be a superior choice for the cowboy action shooter wanting to be historicly accurate. Not to be argumentative but I would submit that everything Mr.Barnes has written in this volume stands in stark contrast to the context of your origional post and alleged quote by Mr. Barnes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ChuckWagon:

I misspoke when I said "fred" Barnes and, of course, meant Frank Barnes.

I stand by my post. Barnes,indeed,made the remark about the 32 Win. Special. In what edition of "Cartridges of the World", I just don't recall but it was some years ago. He was drawing a comparison with the 30-30 Win., one of the very first of the smokeless powder cartridges. (BTW, nothing in your quote refutes what Barnes was saying as quoted by me. He considered that the 30-30 was a superior cartridge and the record of the 30-30 proves it)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The only thing is that for the purist the 30-30 can be loaded with Goex or BP and cast bullets to be historicly accurate.

Absolutely incorrect. The 30-30 was NEVER a black powder cartridge. For one thing, the 1 in 12" rifling twist would foul up so quickly that any accuracy would be lost. The old 32-40 was one of the top cartridges for accuracy in 1894-95, and the 30-30 was never able to compete with it for top accuracy. Second, reloaders of the period did not like using the new "white" powder, and when they tried to load 30-30 brass with black, soon learned of the fouling problem. Third, if the 30-30 was laoded with black, why did Winchester hold off releasing the rifles for sale until late 1895? Simple. The round was designed to be a smokeless powder round and Winchester had to make a barrel that would stand up to the erosivness of the new powder. The barrels of the early rifles were stamped as such. Just a short quote from Sam Fadala's book WINCHESTER'S 30-30 MODEL 94 from the first paragraph on page 15.
"But the 30 caliber bullet would leave the muzzle at about 1,970 feet per second with that little powder charge pushing on it. And the propellant would not be the familiar black powder of the day, but a relatively new fuel-SMOKELESS POWDER THEY CALLED IT. (Emphasis mine.) Yes, it was the 30 WCF, or 30 caliber Winchester Center Fire, a round which would soon be known around campfires from the eastern seaboard to the high Rockies as the 30-30."
If you like the 30-30, it's a book you should have in your library. Sam Fadala is one of the very few gun writers I have any respect for. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a gun show. We had a long and very pleasant conversation about hunting, reloading, muzzleloaders, you name it. Unlike several other gun writers I have met who have been snobs, or just out and out obnoxious, as in "I am the expert, my word is the word of the Lord." attitude, Mr. fadala is a gentleman of the first water who at least listens to the opinions of others, and gives them consideration.
Considering the fact that the .32 WS is supposed to be a great cartridge for cast bullet shooting, I'm looking for one with a decent barrel at a reasonable price. No big hurry though, as my 30-30's do just fine as is.
Paul B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite right, I was wondering if anyone was going to catch my blunder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, thanx for the correction. I guess that's what happens when I put too much emphasis on a decaying memory and a single reference. It indeeed seems I was well off track the entire strand. I stand corrected. George Maddis's "The Winchester Book " adds that in 1894 the two calibers introduced in the 1894 were the 32-40 as you had mentioned and the 38-55. In late 1895 as you had suggested the 30-30 was added in Nickel steel "for smokeless" as was the 25-35. It gets a bit sketchy on the 32 WS and depending on the source it is commonly accepted that it was introduced in 1902. Which leads me to be even more befuddled by that quote from Mr. Barnes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Poster: ChuckWagon
I think he's still alive and well. You can catch his articles on a regular basis in Rifle magazine. ......<snip>......

ChuckWagon,

I think you may be thinking about John Barsness instead of Frank Barnes.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote