New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rail on a lever gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Browning 1886 and would like to mount a short Picatinny rail in the rear sight dovetail. Does anyone know of one commercialy offered or is it a gunsmith job?
I have a Docter red dot on my double rifle and it really helps these old eyes. I figure it would be ideal on a lever.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet you could have two holes tapped on the barrel.I thought about the same thing for my 405 win 1895.I actually has a side mount for a browning 1895 and sold it with my rifle.Yep my eyes are bad also catraks setting in.I use to be able to hit a clay target with my 22 pistol at 75 yards with open sites.Now it better be a moose or elephant at 75 yards.A side mount which is ugly and cumbersome or will jam the ejection is the other way.I think a short rail mount on the 1886or 1895 would be nice.It seems like a screw in the dovetail and one more should hold it.My 405 1895 is a Teddy Roosevelt so I wont be tapping it anytime soon.Good luck ask a gunsmith who is very good you dont want to hack up your gun.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
dgr416 - Rather than gussie up your rifle(s), I recommend cataract surgery. It did wonders for me and has for all that I know have had it done.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doctor said I will have to wait a few years till they get bad enough.I am 48 and my dad had the same problem at this age.A rail mount for a 1895 would be good as long as it stays on .I am just wondering how accurate these 405s really are.Its too pretty of a gun not to shoot good.I cant wait to take some game with mine .I found a set of canes chaps that fit the rear stock .Now I have to find a set for the front stock.Too bafd they quit making them.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
LJS

I have had rails put on the lever guns. SSK Industries, the T'SOB.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote