New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 rifle varmint loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I’d like to have a gun for use around the barnyard that has more punch than a 22LR but I don’t really want to use my 22-250 either. I’ve looked at rimfire mags and they don’t seem to really tickle my fancy for whatever reason, I’m talking the guns not the calibers. Anyway, I’ve got a Marlin 1894 that is just sitting around waiting to be used. I’d like ideas on loads and in particular bullets that may work well for this kind of application. I’m looking for bullets that are frangible and have a good chance of being accurate. This isn’t going to be a deer load, just for chucks, coons and crows. As long as I can get out to the better part of 100 yards I’ll be happy and would like something that is not super loud.

Thanks

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
The best such loads for my Winchester 1892 .357 rifle were the Super Vel 110 grain hollow points and 125 grain hollow points. Both are very accurate from my 20" Douglas barrel and are devasting on varmints.
A striking example is an armadillo shot in the right side with the 125gr - all that was left was the right side of the shell - all the rest was simply gone.
If you can approximate those velocities, you can have a lot of fun exploding things.
However, any hollow point pistol bullet will destroy a lot of meat on game, so heavier softpoints are better. My wife took her first deer with the .357 rifle and 146 gr Speer jacketed hollow points loaded to 2000+ fps and it died instantly, but the exit wound/hole measured 6 inches across - a no-no for edible game.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shoot lots of the Berry 125 plated hollow points over 7.1 grs of Unique. A very mild load but chucks out to 75 yards don't seem to care!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 125 gr Lee cast! Load them up in 38 sp cases and 5.0-5.7 gr W231 and you have a very potent varmit round! Good for everything including yotes out to 100 yards! Want alittle more punch load 158 gr Lee cast in 357 mag cases and 7-9 gr Unique. Again good for everything including yotes out to 100 yards +!

One shot One Kill

Posts: 64 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 08 February 2007Reply With Quote