Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 rotor spring
 Login/Join

posted
I did some work for a acquaintance of mine and when I refused payment, he insisted in giving a elderly Savage 99. I always liked the 99 so I was happy with that. One hiccup though. The gun is in a disassembled state. Assembling it will be no problem except for the rotor spring tension. Can anyone provide any suggestions as far as the tension setting
The gun's serial# puts at a 1901 or 1902 manufacturing date and it is chambered for the 30-30 cartridge
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert but my gunsmith is. He says that he always has to stretch the spring by trial and error until it feeds right. Sorry about the lack of specifics but I just paid the man and shot the rifle.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has been a long time since I adjusted one of the Savage 99's but it seems that you just adjust it until it feeds. I think most of them need more tension. I forget how to do it, but it is fairly simple.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to 24hourcampfire.com forum and go to the savage 99 section. Look at the title Misc Good Info dated 7-25-05 by Rick99.
It has info on the spring setting, tightening the lever, taking the slop out of the take down barrels.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got the Sept flyer in from MidwayUsa and they have the AGI dvd on sale again for the Savage 99 at $9.99, product # 941-826, which is pretty informative and they do show how to index the rotor as an assembly but not completely taken apart.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote