Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Guys, my local gun shop has a very clean looking Winchester 94 in .375 Winchester. I can't recall but I think they are asking about $550 for it. My Hornady manual shows velocities of up to 2300 with a 220 grain bullet. That's packing a pretty good punch although the cartridge never caught on. What do you think?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave you probably saw the earlier thread with lots of comments

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys. Didn't see the earlier thread before I started this one.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The price seems fair depending of course on condition.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy it for sure. It is a great caliber.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Saw one in the local shop just last week, $750 was the asking price, two days later it was gone.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good woods caliber, but not much different than 35 Rem in performance. Probable the best caliber the 94 came in in my humble opinion. Factory ammo supply questionable, if that matters. If you like it get it!

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last november i bought a Marlin 375 it shoots handloaded 200gr Sierra and 220gr Hornadys within a MOA out to 100yds. Lets face it, most game animals are shot within 200yds at this range limitation the 375win is a power house. A lot of people compare it to the 35 rem but i think thats a little un-fair, actually my Hornady loading manual does exactly that and i think only the ballistics are similar, not the on game performance.

I paid 500 dollars for my Marlin with a box of 200gr factory loads($42) and the Marlin was only produced to 16,000 units. I love the rifle and cartridge, will it do anything different than say a 35rem or 30-30 for that matter? No but i love rare cartridges and handloading for em. If your not a handloader it could be very expensive to feed a 375 chambered rifle.... Wink

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote