THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    .45-70 300 gr. nosler partitiions for plains game
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45-70 300 gr. nosler partitiions for plains game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looks like we are getting close to booking a plains game hunt in the limpopo, RSA for July 2008. Species to be hunted jnclude, kudu, gemsbok, bluewildebeast, warhog, impala, zebra and blesbok. I have been told that the majority of shots will be under 100 yds. I am going to take my .45-70 guide gun. Do you think the 300 gr. nosler part. has enough SD to handle the game listed if I don't take "stupid shots"?

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not just the SD.The 300 Nosler [I use the Win Partition load for deer] has penetration beyond what you would think.Similar is the 300 Barnes all copper.They are used here for elk successfully.The now unavailable 350 PMC load would be nice and there are some other 350s you can handload.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think the 300 gr. nosler part. has enough SD to handle the game listed if I don't take "stupid shots"?
Sure it will work, but if you used Garrett Hammerheads or Superjacks you could do the "stupid shots" too.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
If you don't handload Conley gives the Nosler 300 grain sufficient oomph, if you do handload try some of Joe's loads.

http://www.cpcartridge.com/45-70marlin-P.htm

http://www.realguns.com/loads/4570.htm

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don' want to use hardcst, because of TOO much penetration. Most of these animals are herd animals, and the chance of shooting thru one, and hitting another is too great. Over there, if you draw blood, you pay for it.

Mad Dog.

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don' want to use hardcst, because of TOO much penetration. Most of these animals are herd animals, and the chance of shooting thru one, and hitting another is too great. Over there, if you draw blood, you pay for it.
None of the game I've taken in Africa were standing that close to each other, but you raise a valid point. A zebra will stop two out of three .429 320 gr LBT WFN @ 1375 so a .458 300 gr NPT @ 1700 might not pass through every time...but I'd still be careful to pick my shots.