New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skinner sight on BLR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, based on some comments I found using the search tool, I just ordered a Skinner peep sight for my BLR. It is unclear whether the factory front sight will need to be replaced, and I'm willing to alter bullet weight / velocity to achieve zero, if that's within reason.

It is scheduled to arrive on Thursday or Friday and I'll be sure to post a follow up.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Installation was trivial, as advertised. With a little luck, I'll make it to the range tomorrow and fire a few shots.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Initial shot was 5.5" high at 25 yards, indicating that I need a front sight 0.155" higher than the factory sight (0.400") according to the formula posted on the Skinner front sight page. I've ordered the appropriate part and will update again after the next range session.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep us informed of how you work this out.. I put a straight 4 power scope on my BLR. Fun gun.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
A picture perhaps of what this looks like? I have two BLRs, a .450 Marlin and a .308. The .450 has a Leupold VX-R on it, while I just ordered a Leupold 3i in 2.5-8x with the post and crosshair reticle.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received and installed a 0.538" Williams brass bead front sight this afternoon. The theoretically correct sight height was 0.555, but 0.538 should be plenty close. I hope to make it to the range this weekend.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, there was no joy with the new front sight. It just didn't reduce the point of impact sufficiently even though it was theoretically sufficient. I've ordered another sight that's higher and we'll see what we see.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, What I do is set my rear sight at about the elevation midpoint. Then I shoot and do the calculation for front sight height. Then I have a little room to adjust either way. The Express is a good sight.

Posts: 42 | Location: SW Ar. | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the picture of this sight on a BLR. I may have to try this!
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks simple.
I don't see a way to correct for windage. If the rifle needs some azimuth adjustment, where will it be done.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have one on my Marlin cowboy rifle... they are adjustable for windage and elevation. Very simple easy to adjust sight..'

I definitely recommend it.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1977 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As was said above, adjustment is easy when you can see a closeup in person.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have the same sight on my M95 Win and love it. As it fits right under the hand when carrying the rifle I rounded off all the sharp edges and corners, which was a big help

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI, the new front sight has solved my point of impact problem. My rifle is a .325 WSM Takedown with the pistol grip and I needed a full 0.600 post front sight to drop the point of impact sufficiently. Even with a 0.600 front sight, I don't think light bullets will zero correctly. My test loads were 180 grain GMX and 200 grain Noslers. I intend to use the 200 grain Noslers at a moderate 2700 fps or so as my standard load.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------