Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin Model 36 (1936)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen:

The bug has bitten, and I feel the urge to pick up an older Marlin either a 336 A with 24" barrel in 35 Remington or a Model 36 (1936) A - DL in 30-30 or 32 Special with 24" barrel.

What can you tell me about the benefits of either type of rifle as far as mechanics, design flaws if any and relative accuracy?

Is the 336 really a better rifle than its precursor, the 36?

I will only use an aperture sight, so scope capability is irrelevant.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two 336A's in .35, one in .30-30, and love the 24" barrel and 2/3's magazine. As far as function, never had a problem with either one.

They wear peep sights...and shoot very well.

I would urge you to go to marlinowners.com. It is full of Marlin lever lovers, with 1000 times the knowledge, I could ever pretend to have.

I really like my Marlins, to the point I sold my Winchesters.

"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet. But have a plan on how to kill them." From an old Marine.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have my fathers 336A made in 1951. Its been a fine deer rifle, noticably smoother than the ones off the line today and very accurate. Its a 35 remington--- if I ever see one in 30-30 in like condition, its going to come live with me also.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I currently have a fair number of lever rifles, including half a dozen or so M 336's
in a variety of chamberings.

My dad and I both shot our first deer with one of my Model 36 rifles in .30 WCF.

In my opinion, which, with a buck will get you a cup of coffee most places except the fancy ones (or in Europe), there is not $.02 worth of difference IF both rifles are in good shape and are in the same chambering.

Supposedly the 36 is not as gas tight with its square bolt, IF you have a primer leak. But I don't load my marlins as if they were 155 howitzers anyhow.

Also, supposedly, the Mod. 336 is less prone to jamming after the action has had multiple thousand rounds through it. But who puts that many rounds through a rifle in .30-30 which is used primarily for hunting?

So personally, I like the 36 just as well as the 336. Matter of fact, if you have a 36 for sale in ANY original caliber, either rifle or carbine, drop me a PM and if the price is reasonable, I'll put my money where my mouth is.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote