THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Scope Mount For 348 Winchester - Just To Show It Can Be Done
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mount For 348 Winchester - Just To Show It Can Be Done
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wanted a scope on my model 71 Winchester and definitely did not like the side mounted types, so I decided to design make my own.
I made 2 different models, one that uses the factory drilled and tapped holes that many of the model 71s have for a side mounted peep sight, and no permenent modifications are made to the rifle. The other is designed to take advantage of a set of holes that were drilled by a former rifle owner to mount one of the side mounted scopes.
My mount is secured two ways. It has an integral dovetail that fits the factory dovetail cut-out in the barrel and a side section which is secured to the side of the receiver with typical gunsmith type screws. Additionally, there is a set screw in the center of the mount dovetail that locks the mount dovetail to the barrel dovetail so that it remains true.
Other than bluing and installation, my two mounts are completed.
I am not selling these. In fact I am giving the design away for the asking.
Pictures can be seen at:
http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=63768
Bob Nisbet

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The scope base will accept either WILLIAMS rings that have the 1/4-28 threaded stud and also the CONETROL rings which have studs that are engaged by the scope set screws.
I love the CONETROL rings, but at $70+ per pair, I used the WILLIAMS rings I already had.
It would probably be easy for these base designs to be reconfigured for other brands of rings.
You may notice that the side of my scope base has not been drilled yet. I plan to "match drill" to the holes in my receiver. To do this, I am going to make a small two diameter stud where the smaller diameter will fit into the recever holes and the larger diameter will act as a stop. The large end will also be sharpened to a point, then the scope base installed and moved up against the stud point, then a light tap on the scope base will mark the exact location where the base mount screw hole needs to be drilled.
Bob Nisbet

Bob Nisbet
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How would you like to make me one of these mounts so I can hunt with my 71/86 clone 50-110 again?

Rich
seriously...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finished the scope mount and it works great.
When I first installed it, I used a laser bore sight device to quick check scope alignment. I was pleased that without any tweaking, the scope and bore were within just a couple of inches of perfect.
Its now ready for a Spring hog hunt in Texas.
Bob Nisbet

Bob Nisbet