THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    New toy.. pre Remlin Marlin 1895 45-70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New toy.. pre Remlin Marlin 1895 45-70
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
just picked it up a couple days ago. It has a recoil reducer installed in the stock and peep sights.

The peeps will go, and I'll scope it eventually.

I don't expect to shoot this rifle a lot, but do intend to take it to Maine thins fall for bear. I'll probably use factory 300 gr which should be plenty for the winnie-the-pooh sized bears in Maine..

But I may eventually like to play with some cast bullets in it just for fun, so I'm looking for loads, recommendations, and shared experiences with the 1895 and or the 45-70..

Thanks!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have several marlins in 45/70. If you shoot factory loads the recoil is minimal. The green box Remington 405 grain is very low velocity wise and has almost no recoil. If you are sitting a stand at the range is 50 yards or so, it would be very effective. It is a terrible long range choice as it has the trajectory of a thrown bowling ball.
30-31 and reloader 7 are my go to powders for loading.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
If you plan on shooting bears with it avoid the Hornady Leverevolution 325 grain bullets. I used them on a 19+ inch black bear and while they did kill him all that was left were fragments in the chest cavity. Needless to say I was not impressed. If your going to stick with 300 grain bullets I would suggest the Barnes TSX bullets. They're factory loads hold together, expand and like other 300 grain loads don't have a lot of recoil. Otherwise step up to something like the 430 grain hardcast and have some real fun.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Cougar is correct! I call those gummie grenades. I have had the fail to penetrate in both the 45/70 and the 308 marlin express!

Barnes makes an XFN flatbose you can use in your lever gun without issues.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use 300s in my 1885 Browning and factory ones at that .The typical ones are far too fragile at close range [ 2" entrance ,1" exit on deer !! ] So I went 300 premium and settled on Barnes all copper factory loaded , at 1850 fps.They were good for Catskill Mtn deer up to 350 lb red deer cull animals. Recoil of course is mild.

posted Hide Post
Hodgdon has reduced loads using H4895 on their

website...OR....Trailboss is a fun cast boolit

load for any lever gun...

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I have shot 405 grain bullets in a Winchester 1886 EL and in my 45-90 and with velocities above 2000 fps I did notice the recoil.
Such loads should not be needed for the bears you plan to hunt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote