New
Find
Notify
Tools

1895G porting or not
 Login/Join

Picture of spqr
posted
I'm getting a 1895G next week. I can get one with a ported bbl, and one with out. What would be the differance in how these guns would shoot. Should i get a ported one or not.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I don't like ports.
I've shot marlin 45-70's with and with out and I bought the one with out. For the amount of muzzle filp reduced, the added noise wasn't worth it.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
I've got a ported one, bought one right when they came out. I shot an elk this past fall with it in heavy timber. Its the first time in my life my ears rang after taking a shot at game. Most likely due to all the trees. I didn't even notice the recoil, and doubt I would have noticed it without any ports. If I could do it over I could live without the ports, my hearing is much more valuable.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of spqr
posted Hide Post
I hear ya. No ports. I shoot a 300. wby for elk. no ports on it, noise level's not to bad and it's funny ; when you target shoot big cals you feel the recoil; But when you shoot game you don't. Must be the adrenalin.

One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
I shoot a ported 444P. I have not shot an unported one, so I can't compare the recoil to anything, but I'll say that the muzzleblast is unbearable without earplugs... Like someone already said, it's the only gun that makes your ears ring even when hunting. Otherwise I love it.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

This is mine. It's got the ports. I like ports and muzzle brakes. Noisy guns don't bother me. Getting the crap kicked out of me does. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of spqr
posted Hide Post
Well I picked up my new 1895G none ported.
Fit and finish were perfect. I cain't wait to shoot her. Put a nikon shotgun pro staff 2x7x33
on her. she looks sweet.