THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Does any one else shoot their 405 winchester 1895
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does any one else shoot their 405 winchester 1895
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bough a used 405 winchester for a good price.I got a 100 pieces of brass and dies.I know nothing about reloading this caliber.I want to find a scope mount if possible.I had a browning 1895 and had a scope mount made by williams gun company i think.I was wondering if anyone had one or hunted with theirs.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I shoot mine!
I was lucky to find large quanities of 405 brass on Ebay, once fired. I suspect I have a life time supply.
I can't see the need for a scope, when there are brand new or nearly new Redfield reciever sights available. Also available on Ebay.
I use nothing but cast bullets in mine.
IMR 3031 is the powder to use.
Have fun!
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
...I use nothing but cast bullets in mine.

Which bullet do you use?

Posts: 42 | Location: MA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to put a dang scope scope on it or its going to be a 35 yard gun.I had a scope mount for my browning 1895.it fit good but I sold the gun before I mounted the scope or fired it.It was nib and I sold it for $850 and it was sold about a month ago for $1350.I think the 405 winchesters will go way up in value.The one I bought is already fired so its going to be a shooter.I am glad hornady makes brass and bullets.Do you want to sell any of that used brass by chance.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhrosier:
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
...I use nothing but cast bullets in mine.

Which bullet do you use?

I had a 350 grain, gas checked, nose bore riding mold made by Mountain Molds.
That's quite a mouth full.
Not sure how to discribe the nose portion's taper. The bullet centers itself in the leade into the rifling.
So far the bullet has been used in Africa with good results, and Sweden/Denmark on their elk/moose.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
dgr416

I won't be selling any of the 405 brass.
Do keep an eye on Ebay. I also picked up 100 Bertram 405 cases for $40.00, brand new!
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot 6 plains animals, impala to eland with my 1904 vintage .405. Used 300 gr. Woodleigh bullets on top of 55 grs. of IMR 4895. Pretty good thumper!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brass was hard to come by last year, but Midway has had it in stock for a while now. I can't help ya with loads, I'm shooting it in a single shot using the discontinued Barnes 350gr X-bullet and H4895.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=744138

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I shoot mine too.

Got a Gemsbok, Zebra, and Warthog with it in South Africa this past May.

Damn accurate rifle.

FIre Support Team

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang it. Ya'll are gonna make me shoot mine. It came in yesterday- the takedown version. I was debating not shooting it. Well I guess I have to now so I can keep up with the Jones's.

Catmandu

Posts: 109 | Location: NE,TN | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They aint nothing but a hunkof metal and steelif you dont shoot them.Do you think Teddy Roosevelt had any rifles in their boxes unshot?I am going to fire one of my Winchester 25-35s and save the other one for when I wear it out!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put me down as a shooter as well. Smiler I haven't killed much with mine since I got it back in 2003, but that'll change. My father has a beautiful orignal fully customized that he shot a bear with back in 1998 in Canada. As for brass etc., I haven't had any trouble tracking down components. Also, I just saw Hornady brass for the 405 on sale at either Cabela's or Midway, can't remember which. It's out there if you look, and I like it better than the Bertram stuff.

As for scope, I've never seen nor heard of a scope mount that'll work on the 1895 because of the way it loads. About the only way that I can think of that you'd be able to pull it off would be to put a scout type mount on it that mounts to the barrel forward of the action. I've been wrong before though... so good luck with that. Smiler

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote