THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Marlin 1894 SBL 44 mag vs Colt Lighting replica in 44-40
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1894 SBL 44 mag vs Colt Lighting replica in 44-40
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which would you rather have? Which would you rather reload for? Which would you rather have simply for the cool factor?

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would much prefer a rifle in 44 Mag, because I also carry a 44 Mag hand gun when in the field.

I have owned one of the early Ruger 4 Mag semiautos, a Marlin 44 Mag and now a Winchester 44 Mag Trapper. All were excellent rifles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
No question Marlin! I see the lightning replicas choke regularly at cowboy action shoots. They require alot of gunsmithing to run fast. The marlin, I can gunsmith myself as I shoot a 44 mag marlin in sass. With a happy trigger from wild west gunworks, a spring kit and a 1 piece firing pin-- it really runs fast!

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lightnings can only take low pressure rounds as they are very frail.If you actually want to hunt the Marlin is what you want.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
For mtn. lion hunting horseback with dogs, either will do, but I think for that use ONLY I would prefer the Lightning.

I like the narrower, smaller, profile of a pump for sticking into a scabbard, and the .44-40 is way more than enough cartridge on treed lions. Actually, a .22 Mag placed well is plenty, and rapid fire is not a requirement if the hunter does his job properly.

If he doesn't, then I still wouldn't want to use the Marlin to straighten up that mess if instead I could have a Ruger Deerstalker in the .44 Mag chambering.

Ranges in lion hunting with dogs usually run about 10 yards or even less around here (seldom much more), and the first shot is the one where you usually have time to aim carefully. If you blow it and a wounded lion ends up among the dogs, nothing is fast enough to absolutely prevent trouble and probably some ripped up dogs.

But a well working semi-auto with a heavy blunt bullet like the 240 or 265 gr. .44 mag will prove real handy. Not dissing Marlins, and for deer I'd prefer them over the Lightning, but "treed" lions are a whole different ball of wax.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had no idea about the issues with the Lightning replicas in CAS, that is good to know. I saw pics of the new Marlin 1894 SBL big loop lever in 44 mag in the latest issue of QDMA magazine, and thought the aperture sight with picatinny rail was really neat, but I dont think stores will have them until 3Q this year...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I was mistaken in my previous post, I saw that these would be available in 3Q 2011. However, I cannot find a single one on line for sale. Has anyone seen a 1894 SBL in the flesh?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've handled (and shot) both the Winchester 94 in 44 Magnum and handled (only) the Marlin 94 in 44 Magnum.

I've also handled the Winchester 92 in 44-40.

All were the models without the side or tang safety catch.

What I don't like about the Marlin is just how back that hammer is when you put it on to half cock for safe carry.

It just seems too easy to get something in between it and the bolt to take it all the way back to full cock.

The Colt?

An original would be just too valuable, I suppose for rough use, and I see not attraction in any Italian replica now matter how well made.

FWIW I'd source a 1970s genuine Winchester 94 in 44 Magnum or a late Winchester 92 in .44-40 and use either.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
That would be a sound choice, Enfield. But, really, both you and I are off topic with our responses

You are off topic because the OP asked us to choose between two specific rifles, neither of which is a Model '92 or '94 Winchester. That choice between the two he designated is what we needed to post about.

I was off topic because he did not ask which we would prefer for some specific kind of hunting. Instead he asked which has the best "cool" factor, whatever that is.

I should not have responded at all, probably, as I have no idea what the general public would choose solely on the basis of "cool".

Me, I try as best I can not to buy rifles using that as a criterion for my choice. I much prefer to buy based on criteria I believe will help me pick the one which actually works best in the field for the function af a rifle...I.e., to strike objects with a bullet which will render them immobile or dead, whichever is my goal. (Or, sometimes to make a higher "score" or smaller "group".

But again I am off topic.........

Best wishes Enfield,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I would be deer hunting with whichever one I pick, so that is a factor as well. If I can find a Marlin 1894 SBL 44 mag, that is what I will buy...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the big lever would be cool but not a deal breaker. A shorter picatinny rail could be mounted in the existing holes for a scope mount. I think a ghost ring rear and a hi viz front sight could be done easily at home and would be the biggest change. I just ordered a used stainless 94 and intend just about the same mods as you. Post befor and after pics so we can see how yours comes out and I'll do the same.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On www.marlinowners.com, someone posted a link to Rifleman magazine about issues Remington has had taking over production of Marlin leverguns, and that they will not be making any until those issues are sorted out. Marlin does not even show the 1894 SBL on their web site, but it is in the pdf that one may download. SInce I really want the 1894 SBL, I think I will just wait.

By the by, I did some research on the Lightning replicas, and apparently the most reliable ones are made by Davide Pedersoli, which are available from Cherry's Fine Guns in Greensboro, NC...

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have an 1894 Marlin in 44 Rem Mag and other than judt the "Cool" factor, what ever that is,with the regular normal lever, I can empty the magazine fairly rapidly of its 10 shots.

I really see no need of the big loop unless you are just getting the gun a a new toy. To me trying to flip the gun aroung just to reload the way John wayne did in True Grit seems a waste of time and motion.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote