THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Price check Win 1886 lightweight 45/70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price check Win 1886 lightweight 45/70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Jap made.No safety.Gun is in excellent condition with no box.Whats it worth????Thanks,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not seen "jap" made light weight before, but since it has no tang safety and "lawyer" trigger set up, would estimate value to be at minimum of 800.00 and asking price of 1000.00+.
If it is stamped Winchester and not Browning with normal half cock safety and trigger, would think it somewhat rare, but either way good rifles. The lightweight versions will definitely "speak' to you upon firing with stout loads.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Jap made.No safety.Gun is in excellent condition with no box.Whats it worth????Thanks,OB

There is no such thing as a "no safety" Jap made Winchester 1886 lightweight. Period.

They all had tang safeties and unless the one you have was reworked by someone to remove it, it also has one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jim62:
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:

There is no such thing as a "no safety" Jap made Winchester 1886 lightweight. Period.

They all had tang safeties and unless the one you have was reworked by someone to remove it, it also has one.

You are wrong.I had one in my hands bought new.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to look that rifle over again....

Browning only sold Jap made rifles and saddle ring carbine without safeties, but Winchester NEVER sold Jap guns without tang safeties. The reason is they must the pass drop tests for imports.

Here are the specs from the current Winchester website. The tang safety is mentioned-

http://www.winchesterguns.com/...mily=024C&mid=534053

Unless your gun has been customized to eliminate the safety..I am correct. Wink

If they have have recently dropped the safeties from the factory versions, I am sure we'd all like to see proof of that with some pics ..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OLBIKER,
I have both the Miroku/Browning SRC 1886 and the Miroku/Winchester Extra Lwt.Wt. 1886..
My Winchester came with a tang safety that resulted in 30-40% misfires..
A friend who is handy around rifles found a fix on the net and modified the tang safety on my 86 and his 92..
Problem solved..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some few years ago fellow at the local range said he had one of the "new" Winchester 86 that did not have the tang safety/trigger combo?? I listened and did not say anything, but those tang safties and hammer set up is the reason I shopped for quite a while to buy the Brownings in '71, '86, and '95. Had not heard about the misfire issue, but Turnbull modifys the new Winchesters back to original configuration. If Turnbull did the conversion, so much the better.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote