THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Take down conversion and 457 Mag conversion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take down conversion and 457 Mag conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any reccs? I know WWG does pretty good work -- but they seem to take a very long time, last i heard. ANyone else?

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
Do not have them re-chamber for 457. Take it to a local smith and have him throat your existing chamber longer, it works out to be the same and will be MUCH less expensive. And if you don't reload for 45-70 you should start. You can equal the 457WWM loads. However, WWG does do good work if you must have a takedown. If I ever rechamber to 50 Alaskan I would send them my Marlin. Don't know about the time frame? call and ask how busy they are and get a firm finish deadline.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptaylor:
Do not have them re-chamber for 457. Take it to a local smith and have him throat your existing chamber longer, it works out to be the same and will be MUCH less expensive. And if you don't reload for 45-70 you should start. You can equal the 457WWM loads. However, WWG does do good work if you must have a takedown. If I ever rechamber to 50 Alaskan I would send them my Marlin. Don't know about the time frame? call and ask how busy they are and get a firm finish deadline.
Actually, it is not a rethroating of the chamber. The modifications to cycle a 2.67" round in a Marlin 1895 45-70 involved the carrier, ejector and ejection port.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackfish:
quote:
Originally posted by ptaylor:
Actually, it is not a rethroating of the chamber. The modifications to cycle a 2.67" round in a Marlin 1895 45-70 involved the carrier, ejector and ejector port.

WOW! thats all thats needed. I was always under the impression the chamber needed to be lengthend.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm really interested in the conversion because I want my garret 540 grs to chamber better -- currently, the brass get a mark on it after being chambered -- my 'smith said the brass is hitting the "lands"

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I doubt very much that 45-70 brass at even 2.15" is going to contact the lands in a Marlin 1895 45-70. The throats are rather deep in the Marlin 1895 45-70; that is why nothing is done to the throat when there is a modification to allow cycling of 2.67" rounds. I would suspect there is really another reason your brass is being marked.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote