New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh 400 gr jacketed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted this in the reloading section but there don't seem to be much traffic,I recently came across these here in Canada , and was wondering if anyone out there has loaded them for modern lever guns ...I like to push the 400's to around 2000 fps from my Browning 86 ...I searched and can't seem to find an exact load ....I usually run the Hornady 350's for hunting and recently had one come apart badly after striking one rib on a Moose so I'm a little disenchanted and looking for something a little tougher .

Any thoughts ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You failed to state the caliber you are using and lots of wildcats on the 86 frames exist that shoot that bullet in the .348 case.

I suspect however you have a 45-70 and are talking about the 400 gr. 458 Woodleigh Flat nose bullet, they make for the 445-70..It should be as good a bullet as you can find for the 45-70 and will hold together, optimistic IMO at 2000 FPS, but your problem may be that your pushing these 45-70 constructed bullets that are designed to operate at 1700 to 1800 FPS not 2000 FPS. If you are shooting the 400 gr. bullet at 2000 FPS you need to use the 400 gr. Woodleigh designed for the 458 Win. as all Woodleigh bullets are velocity specific..

I always liked the 350 gr. HOrnady in my 45-70 and 45-90 and never had one come apart on elk or deer, but Moose are heavier for sure.

BTW Nosler makes a 500 gr. partition specifically for the 45-70 Win. caliber, that will blow a hole through a Moose or bear broadside most every time. I used them in my 45-90 and they were awesome on elk, never recovered one from a deer or elk..

My good friend Phil Shoemaker, Alaskan Guide, keeps a 45-70 handy for Brown Bear protection and swears by the 400 gr. Kodiak bullets at 1800 FPS. He should know and if they kill those big bears, a moose would be a walk in the park for those tough bullets.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you're right my apology,it is a 45-70 ...your mention of the velocity specifics regarding the Woodleigh is one of the reasons I posted the question...my shots typically run 50-150 yards ,I don't shoot past that period , at these given ranges the velocity has dropped to probably 15-16-1700 fps ? ,I have no experience with the Woodleigh but understand they are well constructed the impact velocity for the bullet in question runs 1700-2000,the company do not offer any specific reloading info in their manual.

The 350 Hornady I had come apart ,practically exploded ,the moose died to be sure but I was picking copper and lead out of the meat ,I wasn't impressed.

The 500 grains you spoke of sound very interesting ,but I have my mind set on a 400,and the Woodleighs are available to me here in Canada easily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a few users here use the 400gr Woodleighs out of a 45/70 on Buffalo in NT with good results. I would imagine that they would work perfectly well on Moose too.

In case you are not aware you can access load data on Hodgdon's site and it lists loads that would suit your application.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies fellas I have enough to go on now I think .
Best,
Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have NEVER had a Woodleigh fail even when I abused them..not saying it can't be done but you have a lot of room with them..they are bonded core and that will stop any separation short of a bad bullet in the batch..Not many jacketed bullets can match them.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote