New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 Marlin Express
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Read the article in the American Rifleman on this new offering from Marlin & Hornedy. Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't sound like such a great idea to me. The data from the article only gives the .308 a bit over three inches less drop than the .30-30 leverevelution @ 300 yds. and I can see basement ballistians cobbling together 60,000+psi .308Win. loads for use in their 47,000 rated M336's! What's everyone else think? Is it a new gun to fill a needed niche or just another gimmic offering to sell guns & ammo?

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
it has to flop...... think of all the people buying ammo for there 308 win and gettin the wrong stuff???? Big Grin
i think a novelty toy is nice, but ill just stick to the 30 30
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just-a-hunter...
Do you have any specifics on what Marlin did to the 336 action to allow it to handle "a lot higher pressure"? The current model can only carry a 1" dia. barrel with a breech tenon dia. of .775". They could gain a little strength by going to "V" threads instead of the old square ones which remove a lot of metal from this critical area. Other than the threads it seems like an entirely new receiver would be needed.

<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
I read that article this morning before leaving for work. As I recall, the cartridge only generates 45,000 - 47,000 psi. I don't know that Marlin did anything other than put a 24 inch barrel on it along with a hammer spur extension and an ugly grey laminated stock.