Find
Notify
Tools

94 Winchester Scout Scope mount
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I have a pre-64 Model 94 that I intend to do a 'scout scope mount' on. This particular rifle no longer has 'collector' status so drilling a few more holes in it is no problem.

Which is more solid...the Wild West Guns set up:
http://www.wildwestguns.com/accessories.html

or the XS Sight set-up. I understand that that XS utilizes the sight dovetail for the front part of the mount, but what secures the receiver end of the mount?
http://www.xssights.com/store/scope.html

Anybody have any experience with either of these?

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I don't like scout scopes nor dot sights mounted forward. I have found that if it is sunny behind you the image can be totally washed out on occasion.

for a 94 (I have a pre-angle eject one myself) I put a B Square side mount for a few years and it worked OK, IMHO I'd rather have that than a scout mount so you might want to think about at least trying one first.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Not going to do a red-dot sight as I'm not keen on using batteries. I've tried side mounts and (for me) don't like the lack of cheek weld as I end up having to lean head to the left of the comb. Besides that, my son (who will be inheriting this rifle) is left handed and a side scope mount would really be unacceptable.

So, that brings us back to the original topic of asking for input on the particulars of the two scout mounts mentioned at the beginning of the post.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the XS mount requires two holes drilled and tapped in the receiver. They should have installation info on their website if you look around there a bit.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Now you are talking. About fifteen years ago, I read Cooper.

Concluding that his ideas could be better met with a hot rod lever action, I bought this leveraction and put the then available Burris 2 3/4X Scout scope and mount on a Browning 1895 recreation rifle. Here is the result.

However, if you want a scoped lever, the cheapest and frankly one of the best solution is the Marlin which is drilled at tapped for scopes because of the side eject system.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris used to make a very good scout mount for the M94 carbine. The rear sight base was replaced and a screw held the rear of the base in that. A hole was D&Ted (6x48tpi) in the barrel band top for the front screw. I have one with a Burris 1.5X scout scope and find it very good and easy to use, one of my favorite scout rifles. I D&T'd through the barrel bandand into the barrel to make it more solid. I've not had any low light, wash out or field of view (keeping both eyes open as should be gives as wide a field of view as you are capable of)problems many mention and I use several scout rifles. The windage feature of the Burris, Leupold, Redfield base centers up the reticle nicely with minimal internal adjustment. With the Buris base using Leupold, Burris or Redfield low rings the ocular lens of the scout scope is placed over the front reciever ring with minimal clearance as is proper. Eye relief and aquisition are perfect and and quicker for me than with the facory sights or with a ghost ring Lyman reciever sight. The scout scope is also more accurate, especially now with my aging eyes. Much to be recomended of the Burris base if you can find one. I'd post a picture but I'm away from home now.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote