THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: Check out my tweaked Marlins
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Check out my tweaked Marlins
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well - most of my experience with the 2 have been with hogs and deer and there hasn't been $0.02 worth of difference between them. Both knock deer and hogs down in a hurry and leave massive blood trails if the animals do run. My .444 Marlin has a 1-20" twist barrel so it will shoot hard cast bullets up to 405g. The .45-70 will shoot equal weight bullets faster; however, I doubt there is any practical field difference between them with any game if both are using bullets of proper construction.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buzz
Nice rifles. Based on game you have taken how would you rate the 444 Marlin compared to the 45/70?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buzz
who did the work?

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice,

The scope you have on your .444 IMHO is THE pefect scope for the marlin .444 and 45/70. My 45/70 marlin wears the same scope but with the normal reticle. My 1886 Extra lite 45/70 has a Lyman 66 wb reciever site on it howvere I much prefer the peep site you have on yours. Great looking guns !!

By the way try the woodleigh 405 gr 45/70 bullet for your 45/70 it really is a great projectile.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote