THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Model 94s going pretty fast and going way up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 94s going pretty fast and going way up
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been watching how many guns have disapeared on Guns America and gunbroker.You would not believe what some winchester model 94s are going for.There are people digging the old ones out of their safes .The trails end hunters have about doubled in price.I still cant find a 25-35.I guess I will have to build one or something.I bet a 25-35 improved on a big bore 95 would be awesome.There are some 45 colt and 44 mags left for decient prices.I wonder if they will hold their value.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a big gamble in my mind, the factory and name (or just name) could be bought by someone and they won't really go away. In that case they may go back down to "normal" price pretty soon. If Winchester does go away and stays away Marlins are likely to go up drastically and teach us all about the power of a monopoly. You may be better off buying a Marlin and reselling it a year from now to make a buck. If you just want a gun buy what you like. The days of "cheap" levers may be behind us. Pistol calibers may stay reasonable thanks to Puma and Henery.

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I think something to consider is the "New Haven, Ct." marking on the 94's. even if they are made elsewhere, which I do not believe will happen, those will bring some type of premium-- like the "pre 64" did while the 94 was in production. Now, the "pre 64" versions will go out of sight.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People are dragging every 94 out of the closet to sell on the internet.Its the commeratives that are bringing more money than they ever have.I saw a John Wayne 32-40 sell for $1600 .There are not enough kids today interested in model 94s.It was fixing to get a boost with the lever evolution ammo by hornady.Its a shame that ammo was not out with the 307 winchester,it might of had a difference.I love Big Bore 94s and have 2 in 375 win.My first centerfire rifle was a 30-30 94 that my dad bought for me in 1973 for $65 new.I didnt use it much but I will never sell it.I finally found a model 94 in 25-35 I am hoping I get it today.Thats the hardest gun to buy I have ever had in my life.I think I stayed on the phone 40 hours to find one.I have always wanted a 94 in 25-35.I borrowed a friends 25-35 in a Savage 99 once.It was so fun to shoot that I wanted a 94 in it.I missed a heavy barreled 94 in 25-35 at a gun show two years back for $250.I had just bought a winchester model 24 sxs 20 ga shotgun.I think all model 94s will go up in price.The days of $125 94s are gone.I think that the low end of 94s will be around $275-$300.The new ones are going to bring even more.I heard even Walmart raised the prices of its model 94s that it still had.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
...I heard even Walmart raised the prices of its model 94s that it still had.

Nope! I just checked their website, same prices as a couple of weeks ago.

I picked up a nice, nearly new, '94AE, 30-30 at a local gunshop for $230 OTD, with a box of ammo & a gun case, last saturday. Seemed like a good buy, considering all. It's in the safe, next to the new Trails' End (ironic name) 38-55 & .357 mags that I aquired near the end of last year.
Sure was looking forward to the new take-downs. Frowner

Posts: 42 | Location: MA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model 94's are still cheap here, every Wal-Mart has them in stock, and the pawnshops are still selling them for $150

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend who moved to SC said a old timer there who has befriended him and has a very nice collection of guns had to have a new SS M70 when he heard of the closing.

He passed on one in a shop with nice wood and then called back and it was gone. Then he rushed to another shop that had two and took one with plain wood.

I did not get caught up in this panic for a USARC Winchester but it's obvious some have.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a choice of many, many levers in older used rifles call Fred @ 707 7645744. He has a couple original 25-35's and he has not changed his prices. I had to sell my orignal a short while ago but he is holding an 86 45-70 for me and an 86 in 33 win.
He also has a ton of Marlins.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at 2 Model 94's over the weekend. One had RUST on the tube and the other one had a handguard that was super loose. Six months ago I checked out some other 94's and you could stick 2 pennies between the gaps between the receiver and stock.

They are going out of business for a reason.